Small Intestine Length

(Sam) #1

I was having a conversation with someone about the scientific aspects of eating low-carb/carni/not many veges and they hit me with a statement about the fact that humans are not made to eat mostly or only meat because our small intenstines are long (unlike a carnivores which is short) and therefore are designed to keep both meat and plant foods moving through regularly to keep it healthy. I looked it up later on and it appears that they might be right about humans having ‘omnivore-like’ intestines.

Anyone knowledgeable about this topic?

('Jackie P') #2

Actually the oppisite is true. This is the most amazing presentation that explains how our brains grew and our intestines shrank as we started to eat meat.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

There is a lot of specious logic out there, to try to get people not to eat meat. The biggest push behind the vegetarian/vegan movement is the Seventh-Day Adventist Church, which believes that eating meat stimulates lustful thoughts.

This thinking was a large part of the impetus behind the establishment of the breakfast-food industry. John Harvey Kellogg was a member of the church and had worked for the founding prophetess, Ellen White, as a teenager, typesetting her works for publication. Kellogg and Sylvester Graham both believed that eating meat induced a tendency to masturbation that would be curbed on a vegetarian diet.