Slower metabolism, longer life?

So I’ve taken the weight off by revving up my metabolism and eating massive quantities, IF, and EF. I’m now wondering if there is any science behind long term calorie restriction in order to purposefully slow metabolism and potentially have more longevity.
Thoughts??

There is a Calorie Restriction Society - might be worth a look at what they have to offer in the way of scientific studies.

(Running from stupidity) #3

Peter Attia is probably the go-to guy here.

(Boudewijn) #4

Peter Attia as small blog post about it…
https://peterattiamd.com/narrative-glossary-calorie-restriction/
His conclusion (but not in the blog) on the two monkey studies was that calorie restriction has benefits in a poor quality diet…
You may also want to watch:

(Karen) #5

I may be wrong, but I think the keto diet and IF and EF Works just as well, and is easier to do

(Todd Allen) #6

Here’s a talk by a researcher who has looked into the anti-aging benefits of caloric restriction and ketogenic diets. Sounds like they share a fair amount in common such as reduced insulin signalling. The research is mostly on mice and effects may differ in humans.

Dr. John Ramsey - Ketogenic Diets and Aging

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

There is some research that appears to indicate that, yes; done mostly on C. elegans nematodes, rats, and mice. There is also research indicating that ketogenic rats and mice live longer (although it’s very hard to get them into ketosis, I understand).

As far as I know, no one has done any caloric restriction studies on human beings to see if it made them live longer. I suspect that the result is that your life wouldn’t actually be longer, it would just feel a [spoiler]hell[/spoiler] of a lot longer.

I can tell you, however, that if you try to restrict my calories, your life is going to be a [spoiler]hell[/spoiler] of a lot shorter. :bacon:

(Bunny) #8

What would mean ‘caloric restriction’ to one person might not mean the same thing to another person and how that might relate to longevity?

In terms of weight loss; the 24 hour intermittent fasting cycling window seems to be a good target if you want to burn fat and keep it off long-term/ permanently!

A 12 hour, 6 hour eating window IS NOT ‘caloric restriction’ this is a normal eating window or ketogenic normal blood sugars and ketones!

Fasting more than 24 hours might be the deciding threshold in humans which can cause the metabolism to slow down too much and make you eat more than you did before long-after the fast is over with and is seemingly dependent on the amount of adipose tissue[2] when you started which is related to leptin signaling or leptin resistance as seen in leptin resistant obese mice[1].

Footnotes:

[1] “… Trying to battle a hormonal problem with calorie-based weapons is a losing proposition. …” - Dr. Jason Fung

[2] “… The fat get fatter. Those who have struggled with weight for the longest, have the most trouble. …” - Dr. Jason Fung

(Carl Keller) #9

I was reading a study the other day about this very subject. It supports what @PaulL was saying about mice and rats. I know… it’s just another rodent study, but the findings are encouraging.