Slipped

I started so well and lasted 3 months - dropped 25 pounds - but have been lax for the last 3 months. Too much food - especially last week when I went to Calgary to spend Christmas with my brother and his family - too much alcohol and grazing again! Back to it today. I am not waiting for January 1 - I am starting now.

(Erin Macfarland ) #2

Thanks for sharing. No judgement here at all. Hope you get to feeling your best!

Thank you. I have a problem with being with consistent in most things I do. But I am changing that. On Thursday, I went to Costco and spent over $400 - most of it meat. My freezer is full and I am going back to intermittent fasting - starting 16/8 then working up to OMAD and longer fasts. See how my body responds.

I gained about 6 pounds then another 6 in the last week. (water weight the last week.) It won’t take me long to lose that.

I am looking forward to really getting into ZC not only for weight loss but also to get rid of a lot of arthritis pain.

(Meeping up the Science!) #4

What matters is not having a lapse. What matters is what we do after, and you are doing the best possible thing!

You are so right Donna. I am getting back on track.

(Erin Macfarland ) #6

Most people who have experience with zero carb long term discourage forced fasting. So don’t make yourself fast if you’re hungry. I’d definitely aim for more than one meal a day so you can eat sufficiently. Your body needs fuel!

I know there is a branch that discourages fasting but there are others that don’t. As for my body needing fuel, once I am fully fat adapted it will take the fuel from my fat stores. Trust me, I have a lot. So I won’t starve for a while. I will go on how I feel but thank you for the reminder.

(Erin Macfarland ) #8

Sure! I hope you find something that works for you!

(Karl Bork) #9

I was three months in then had a bad few days of Christmas and gained four pounds but have already lost it to my surprise.

Congrats!!!

(Jeffie Lynn Mc Kay) #11

This topic sparks a question that I’ve been wondering about. I’m very new and I’m wondering what happens when the peer pressure is too much and you cave and eat that piece of cake? How long does the damage last?

Good question. I don’t know

This is when I love to listen to the IDM (Jason Fung MD and Megan Ramos) material. I encourage you to celebrate life and if that is eating cake on occasion then be happy. Eat a piece of cake, don’t give it a meaning that causes you suffering, then do some IF the next day or two. The damage, I feel, comes from the relentless self criticisms and increasing anxiety about having done wrong. Will you move out of ketosis, maybe. Can you move back into ketosis, absolutely. It’s a journey, sometimes we take an exit.

What a perfect response elaine1!

(Ken) #15

Excellent question!

My answer will no doubt be viewed as Heresy to some, but let’s try to keep it simple. We’ll put this in the context that you have been eating lipolytically, (keto) and your glycogen stores are depleted.

A Carb intake will shut down glucagon secretion and will enable an insulin spike. This usually lasts about two hours, but it is very dependent on types and amounts of carbs consumed. The carbs get converted to glucose, and are readily used by your body. After that happens, lipolysis is resumed.

So basically, it’s a temporary halt to lipolysis. Really no big deal, and beneficial in the metabolic sense. You just want to keep them infrequent if fat loss is your goal. It really takes a major, chronic, Carb based pattern to cause any fat regain.

(Michael ) #16

I like lying. I just tell people I’m prediabetic…probably was. Same with alcohol, i just tell people I’m allergic. It’s kinda true, I’ve been know to break out in handcuffs. But seriously, not interested in having a conversation about alcoholism or sugar addiction unless someone wants help

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #17

Or to break out in spots: Chicago, Detroit, L.A., New Orleans, New York . . . :rofl:

(Sondra Rose) #18

I slipped and was Keto for most of last year. Too many carb creeps and I finally had enough after Christmas.

I thought it would be harder to get back on track, but I doubled my magnesium and really upped my electrolytes (via sea salt, NoSalt and bone broth) and I haven’t had any carb cravings to speak of!