Skin on salmon

(Michael) #1

I love salmon but for years I would always buy skinless and broil the filet.

I read online about cooking skin on salmon in a frying pan to make the skin crispy. I tried that for the first time today and it was delicious.

I’m not an adventurous cook but I’m trying to improve.

Yup! Amazing when done right! I watched Gordon Ramsay’s video on his crispy salmon and (attempted) to copy that.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Crisp and crunchy salmon skin is truly a delight.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

I’m not particularly fond of fish skin, although I’ll eat it if scaled. When I lived at LaBerge no one bothered to do anything more than minimal scaling so I’ve eaten plenty of skin. And scales! I’d be more interested in what and how much nutrition is in the skin before getting too excited about it. Just my opinion.

(Laurie) #5

Type 1 collagen.

(Karen) #6

I love the skin on salmon even if it isn’t crispy. Salmon is equally nice when steamed or popped in oven with butter and covered in foil.

I also like smoked mackerel skin and other fish skun such as trout and sea bream and cod…at a push lol

(Bob M) #7

Higher in Omega 3s (than the flesh), too?

(Michael) #8

Grizzlies strip off the skin and eat it. They often throw away the rest of the fish.

I just Googled and discovered that the skin has the highest concentration of Omega 3 fatty acids and that cooking it with the skin helps preserve the other nutrients and oils in the fish. Healhline was the source.

(Laurie) #9

When I fry skin-on fillets, the skin always sticks to the frying pan. How do you get it to stay on the fish?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #10

I’d have to see some rock-solid evidence for that claim because I’ve got lots of rock-solid evidence they do no such thing. They grab it, they eat it - no fussing with skin or anything else.

(Bob M) #11

Good question. That happens to me, too, which is why I gave up. And, I don’t mind non-crispy skin anyway. Plus, the extra step is takes to make crispy skin takes more time. I’m always lacking in time.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #12

(Bob M) #13

Hmm…a lot of work, when you’re trying to serve 4-5 people.

(Michael) #14

I saw video of Grizzlies stripping off salmon skin and throwing the rest away. I don’t know whether that is usual or unusual.