Skin of turkey or chicken

(Tray) #1

Someone suggested getting turkey or chicken skin from a butcher and frying it up. Anyone try this? Also thinking of trying it in the oven. Tips? Tricks? Results?

I never tried it, but pork rinds are just pig skin so maybe other animal’s skin tastes good too?

(TJ Borden) #3

I haven’t tried turkey skin…yet…

I did fry up chicken skin. I was going to try to make @carl’s chicken skin rolls recipe, but I ended up not having any pieces big enough so I just fried them up in tallow in my frydaddy. Little salt and they were AWESOME. Like the best part of fried chicken and it’s healthy.

I was able to pick up s package at my butcher. It was a 2lb pack for about $5.

(carl) #4

Awesome, TJ!

My next trick with chicken skin rolls is to make a filling out of chicken thigh meat, salt, spices, ghee, and some kind of binder - maybe meat glue - roll it up in a skin and deep fry it. That ought to be really good.

(TJ Borden) #5

Noice. Looking forward to hearing about it.

(bulkbiker) #6

I usually oven bake the trimmings from chicken thighs … they make nice crunchy crispy snacks.
Either I eat them or the dog loves them…

(Newimprovedme ) #7

I couldn’t find chicken skin at my butcher. I’ll keep looking though.

(Tray) #8

I think you have to call and special order in advance?

(Jan) #9

I just did this ! I found a local (Hillsboro Oregon) butcher shop - Ponderosa Provisions - who will sell chicken skin for about $2.50/lb. It’s my new favorite food. They normally use the skins for their dog & cat food that they make…maybe look for a place that makes fancy pet food if you can’t find skins? Oven or pan fried, a little salt…mmmmmmmmmm…And a whole bunch of chicken fat (schmaltz???) as well.

I love it, but can’t find anyone in town that will sell it to me…

(Melis Jansen ) #11

That’s a great idea to buy chicken skin, I’m going to see if I can get some from my butcher. I am going to try frying it and cutting it into strips to use on top of salads.

It might also be good to use for mini pizzas and making something like a loaded baked potato skin except of course with the chicken skin in place of the potato skin.

(Jan) #12

I keep thinking of all the clever ways to use chicken skin…And then I just fry it up and eat it. Maybe someday. Hmmm, I could use some right now.

(Rebecca) #13

I deep fry my chicken skins in lard. They are awesome.