SImple ketosis question

I am I think almost certainly in ketosis. Weight loss has been good and I eat less than 20g carbs daily even if my protein/fat ratio isn’t straight by the macros book. The test strips show only trace to moderate levels of ketones. I realize they are the LEAST reliable method, but under what circumstance will I even get to high levels of ketone in the urine? My know it all friend suggests those aren’t good because that means the body isn’t relying on ketones for fuel and they are passing through… that I could have high blood levels with still low urine levels.

I hate to contradict him because he was right once and hasn’t let me forget it.

(Carl Keller) #2

Pee strips only show the ketones your body is wasting and they are terribly inaccurate so your friend is partially correct. They are not completely useless since they can show that you are producing ketones. Another clear sign is in the odor of your urine. Urine with ketones have a distinct aroma to it.

And from what I understand, if the strips are old, then that makes them even less reliable. Who knows how long that bottle of strips sat in your local pharmacy?

Anyway, don’t look at a strip to determine how well you are doing. Your body will definitely tell you if you are doing well.

I think these responses answer my question fully. Thanks a bunch

(Todd Batitis) #5

Of course, you could look at getting a blood ketone meter which is the most accurate of the 3 types. I have a keto-mojo and it works great.