Similarities between compulsive overeating and addiction

sugar
addiction

(Troy) #1

“We are just now beginning to understand the addictive-like properties of food and how repeated overconsumption of high sugar – similar to taking drugs – may affect our brains and cause compulsive behaviors,”

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

Yep, that dopamine addiction is powerful and very real. :cowboy_hat_face:

I have always felt that compulsive overeating was like an addiction. Like an addiction, it doesn’t feel that way when you are overeating and you find ways to justify it. It’s only now that, when I see people constantly reaching for something to eat and not stopping, I really started to see it as an actual addiction. It’s “food” so its easier to justify than say a drug addiction, I guess. I’m just thankful I found this WOE.

(Rebecca ) #4

I don’t believe that it is “real” food that people become addicted to. I once saw a 60 Minutes episode about “natural flavorings” that manufacturers use in “foods(?)” and the point to them is to cause the consumer to crave more of it. It’s all about the money…

(Marianne) #5

It’s true - food, and especially sweets, are so pleasurable that they leave one wanting more or at least soon. Like many of us here, I used to love to eat and eat - anything I wanted and as much as I wanted. I figured I deserved it with working a stressful job, etc. And junk food and processed food - even though it has virtually nothing going for it nutritionally, it has an addictive mouth feel and taste that keep people hooked. These manufacturers and restaurants chains know what they are doing.

(Liz Ellen) #6

There is no doubt that I used food to get high, sadly. I would eat ice cream or brownies or cake until I’d bliss out into a nap. My poor pancreas.

(Susan) #7

This is a very good analogy, LizEllen, and I think that many of us can relate to this. I used it for comfort when I was upset, my addiction is sugar – in the form of candy. I loved candy so much -I am not tempted by chocolate, or baked goods, I can bake tons and tons here of non keto sweets for the family, and it doesn’t phase me, but I could always eat an entire bag of candy in no time flat… so that is my cryptonite!

Thankfully I have been on Keto since February so I am not afraid of Halloween this year! My little grand daughter is 3 and lives here and is so excited for it and is very generous, (always loves to share) and I told her she can share with her mommy, grandpa and her aunties, but not me… I try not to emphasize any ideas of diet etc around her as I don’t want her being messed up about eating as I have been all my life!