Silicone Mats vs. Parchment Paper

(Michelle) #1

Hi - can someone please give me info on silicone mats?

• Do they really replace using parchment paper?
  • Are they easy to clean?
  • Dishwasher or hand wash?
  • Do they have nasty chemicals?
  • Are they useful in microwave too?
  • Any recommendation on brand?

I always use parchment paper, but thinking of switching.

(bulkbiker) #2

I use them all the time. No idea about dodgy chemicals but nothing sticks to them… they are wipe clean and generally brilliant. I use them to make cheese slice crisps and as a catch for my bacon nectar and anything that you would use parchment paper for. I have some that are about 5 years old and still work fine although they do sometimes get holes in them so can leak a bit. Have never tried them in the dishwasher (they would probably flap around too much) but very easy to clean under the tap and then drip dry.

(Griffin Mekelburg) #3

I have used them once before and instantly went and ordered a new baking sheet with a Silpat (only brand of silicone mat I have used and it was great). If anyone has info on any possible chemicals please let us know! But using it was incredible, I do not know about microwave use but I put the mat directly on the oven rack and was fine, nothing sticks to it, and is super easy to clean up.

(Duncan Kerridge) #4

I bought some after wrestling a fathead pizza off the paper I had baked it on. They are brilliant, nothing sticks to them. Very easy to clean. Not sure about microwave use, I’ve only ever used them in the oven.

(Allie) #5

I love my silicone baking products and use them all the time, so much easier! And silicone ice cube trays to make coconut oil treats for my dog… :smiley:

(Arlene) #6

Any petroleum-based product is highly suspect for nasty chemicals, especially when heated.
I use cookware/bakeware that inhibits sticking, like cast iron pans, and soapstone bakeware. Pizzas can be made on a well-seasoned soapstone pizza round.

(Griffin Mekelburg) #7

LMAO we use silicone ice molds for our dogs raw food! They are sooo convenient!

(Michelle) #8

hard to tell!! So much conflicting info out there on Silicone. A lot of them say it’s safe. This one was helpful.

http://thesoftlanding.com/is-silicone-toxic/

(KCKO, KCFO) #9

I use both the paper and silicone mats. I haven’t found anything that has said any thing really bad about the mats. If they are good enough for Jaques Pepin, they are good enough for me. I use silicone molds for chocolate fat bombs.

I am considering getting the reusable silicone bags that replace zip lock bags when you sous vide, I try not to use disposable plastic when dealing with foodstuff. So I have not tried to cook anything that way. But now that silicone bags are available I might give it a go.

(eat more) #10

i still use both silicone and parchment paper…but i also use aluminum foil LOL

i hand wash…not as easy as say a bowl or glass but i’ve been washing those for years so i have a method (in other words i think it’s just awkward because they are unfamilar and not rigid)

food grade shouldn’t have nasty (or any?) chemicals…i’m pretty sure it’s sand and oxygen…i think some parchment paper is actually silicone paper

definitely have used silicone mats and muffin cups in the microwave…as long as it doesn’t turn white or discolor when pinched…i have some candy molds that don’t pass the pinch test so they only go in the fridge or freezer

i got a 3 pack at costco on sale for like $10. MIU brand and i have a tupperware one i’ve had a forever and ever

https://smile.amazon.com/Miu-Non-stick-Silicone-Baking-Liners/dp/B00NBAWL1C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1494987603&sr=8-3&keywords=miu+baking+liners

my only complaint is the mat i used for my pecans yesterday retained the smell even after washing so i have to wash it again…same complaint that i have with the silicone gasket for my pressure cooker

(Sheri Knauer) #11

I was wondering about the plastic bags when using the sous vide. I just got my sous vide and my sister made a comment about the chemicals that leach out of the plastic bags when exposed to higher temps for an extended period of time, which I didn’t think about until she mentioned it (she’s good at bubble bursting that way, lol). Im going to check out the silicone bags now.

I dunno if I’ve been cleaning mine wrong, or the Miu brand is different than the Silpat brand, or what, but it is stained all to heck:

(jketoscribe) #13

I have silicone mats that are OK for baking sweets and pastries, but I prefer baker’s parchment for most savory things and anything I really want to crisp up. I would never cook meat on them because they get really gross and hard to clean. Foil is still my go to for really greasy stuff.

Not all baker’s parchment is the same, supposedly. I use “If you Care” baking parchment https://www.amazon.com/If-You-Care-Certified-Parchment/dp/B001T6JTMY/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1495063538&sr=8-1&keywords=if%2Byou%2Bcare%2Bparchment%2Bbaking%2Bpaper&th=1 which is unbleached and compostable and claims to be coated with pure silicone. It’s rated to 428 F baking temperature which was especially important back in my bread and pizza baking days–other parchments are only rated to 350. The package of If You Care claims that other brands use Quillon coating which is a toxic heavy metal. I don’t know about that, but I do know my lungs get pretty irritated if either burns (I have asthma) so I trim closely around food…

Over the years I’ve acquired a few silicone baking pans and cupcake molds and I HATE them. I find them very difficult to clean and store and they still stick. OTOH, I have some great 1/3 cup and 1/2 cup silicone ice cube molds that are fantastic for freezing my bone broth.

Just use bags that are BPA free. There’s quite a detailed thread on the forums where this was discussed quite a bit: Sous Vide, Plastic and Estrogenic Activity