Silicon Valley's favorite diet has techies eating lots of fat

(Marc) #1

Geoffrey Woo likes to start the day with a plate of eggs, cheese, and avocado. It might not sound as if Woo — cofounder and CEO of “cognitive enhancement” supplements startup Nootrobox — is dieting.

But he subscribes to an increasingly popular diet — the ketosis or “keto” diet — that he hopes will help him live longer and better. It has especially gained traction among Silicon Valley’s biohackers, who often experiment with diet and medical devices in a DIY approach to biology.

The high-fat, low-carb diet turns the body into a fat-burning machine. When you turn off access to glucose, a primary fuel source derived from eating carbohydrates, the body taps into its own fat stores for energy.

(Dustin Cade) #2

i love these articles, because we wont see mainstream Dr.s or nutritionists comes out in support of Keto, but we will see those who are thought to be very smart coming out in support, as they have no oath to outdated dogma

(Marc) #3

I couldn’t agree more.
I was wondering when this would catch on in Silicon Valley. Maybe it has. We’ll see what happens.

(Chris Bair) #4

nootrobox - hey, they were on Shark Tank. Got shot down pretty hard. None of the “sharks” know anything about nutrition - know how you can tell? They had no idea what GRAS - Generally Regarded As Safe meant used “generally” to mock the guy.

(Dustin Cade) #5

unless there is something marketable about Keto, the sharks are not going to care, no matter how healthy it might truly be…

(Keto in Katy) #6

True, but to be fair that is the point of Shark Tank after all.

(Chris Bair) #7

the product they were selling wasn’t keto, it was a nootropic chew thing - actually had a lot of sugar in it.

This dude’s blog is responsible for me going full on keto 14 months ago. Knowing he would be all over this article, it was only a matter of time before Karl chimed in with his typically pithy, non politically correct response.

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=232011

Thanks for posting this. I had similar reaction to that CNBC report. Just another perturbed scheme of sucking money out of people. Keto can be simple if you want it to be…no need for scare tactics or telling people they are too stupid to learn how to eat real food.