Side effects

(tracy) #1

Hi, can someone advise please. i have been on keto for 9 days now, i have done it a few times before but this time its different as i have got the ratios right and am losing a bit of weight and inches, 3lb and 3 inches from waist. I have 4 stone to lose.
The problem is that my nervous system seems to be going into overdrive, like too much nervous energy. Its not a rush of endorphins in a nice way its really horrible anxious feeling and I’m worried. my whole body feels shaky and I have restless everything not just legs, my arms and stomach feel restless too. I am not sleeping and have no energy.
I take a magnesium and potassium supplement and drink 2 cups of bovril a day and salt my food. i drink 1 1/2 - 2 litres of fluid a day and only 1 coffee in the morning. my typical days eating would be b -omelette with tomato, l- salmon, avocado and spring onion. d- small steak with garlic butter and creamed cabbage. I have to force myself to eat as i have no appetite. I don’t drink fizzy drinks, just water. Tried the keto stix for 6 days and it was the darkest purple. i increased water from 1 and a 1/2 litres - 2 thinking i was dehydrated but its still the darkest purple.
I am really struggling with this and can’t focus on anything except what is going on in my body. I thought i was doing everything right so far. i have had the flu thing before when starting but this is really bad. please can someone advise. maybe im missing something

(tracy) #2

Can i just add that my portion size is small as i just don’t want it but obviously need to eat and i feel so stuffed after it.

(Susan) #3

Hi Tracy, welcome to the forum.

Basic Keto is just the 20 grams or less of carbs a day, NO Sugar, adequate protein and healthy fats, make sure you are eating enough, and getting enough calories, enough water and Electrolytes.

To make sure for sure you are doing all the correct macros (because there are so many hidden carbs and sugars and foods) it is good to use a tracker.

I use cronometer.com and it is free. I type in all my foods and it helps me see where I am lacking and how many calories you have, etc as well.

You seem to have a good knowledge of Keto, since you have done it before and say you are doing the ratios right. I just mentioned them all just for a check -it is important to get enough of the salt, but you seem to know all about the electrolytes, which is often the problem.

Make sure you are eating enough calories though, as under eating can cause problems too.

(tracy) #4

Thank you for your reply, i will get that app it will be a great tool.
i have just breakfast and actually enjoyed it which is fantastic! i normally love the foods im eating anyway but it was difficult with no appetite. I can feel my legs crawling at the minute though and starting to tremble so will try a bovril.
Thanks for the quick response!

(mole person) #5

This is a bit of an extreme reaction. I think if you find it worries you maybe increase your carbohydrates just a little bit until it subsibes. I’d try the same protocol that Megan Ramos recommends for people suffering keto rash. Get some berries and have a half cup twice a day and see if that helps. Any berry except blueberries. That gives you a controlled injection of some additional carbohydrates. If it makes you feel better, wait a few days and them half the berry dose. If you feel fine repeat until they are gone, otherwise return to the original amount for a bit longer.

However, if you find this doesn’t go away or worsens go see a doctor.

(Robert C) #6

You might want to review the video linked below.
There seems to be times when skipping breakfast is a bad idea in terms of anxiety.
Your symptoms sound more like anxiety than Keto flu or something.

(tracy) #7

Thank you for all the replies but at last its stopped and i feel great. I downloaded Cronometer to track everything i was eating and i don’t think i was eating or drinking enough. alls good now though so thanks again