Show me the formula

(Michelle) #1

Hi - I’ve been searching for this, but I cannot find it. AND, I’m no mathmetician, so please help. I’m gearing up for multi-day fast, but I may be one of those people that needs fat during my fast. My scale reads ~ 20.5% bodyfat (not very accurate, but in the ballpark). So… what is the formula that Richard gave to calculate your daily caloric intake so your body doesn’t go into starvation??

thanks for the assist.

Macros calculating and deficit or no

In this thread @richard cites the rate of bodyfat that can be used as 31.5 kCal/day/lb, so take your weight in pounds and multiply by 0.205 (ie. 20.5%) to get the weight of the bodyfat in pounds and then multiply that by 31.5.

So, a 140 lb person with 20.5% bodyfat would have 28.7 lbs of fat and at a rate of 31.5, that would be 904 calories per day from bodyfat.

(140 lb * 0.205 * 31.5) = 904

(G. Andrew Duthie) #3

Calculator is here:

Bear in mind that the calculator should be considered an educated guess…it doesn’t take into account differences in individual metabolic rate, insulin resistance levels, etc. But it may give you a broad brush idea of whether or not you have enough body fat to sustain an extended fast without supplementing fat.

Hypoglycaemia on a shorter fast (3-4 days). I need your wisdom
(Michelle) #4

Huge THANKS to both of you!!!

(From XL > Medium) #5

I can’t get the calculator to work. I also don’t know what my metabolic rate is or how to find out.