Should KF have a "Journal" forum?

(VLC.MD) #1

A place for people to record / journal their Keto experiences in One Thread (in a Journal forum).
Helps keep information in one place.
It works quite well on some lowcarb sites I have seen it.

People can follow certain people to exchange more ideas and encouragement.

To prevent the journals from overtaking the new/latest/unread threads, the other sites exclude the journal threads from new / latest / … unless someone is watching that thread already.

(bulkbiker) #2

the diabetes.co.uk forum has a blog section where people can record stuff… maybe that would work here too
I would be very interested in some members daily musings…

I have no experience with that; but I do like to see other peoples experiences and data.

My vote is yes! :+1:

(Doug) #4

I’m certainly for it. The entire forum has somewhat of the same function, though it takes a lot of time to keep up with everything and everybody - would be easier with a dedicated area.

There have been threads where people detailed daily events and information during their fasts, and recently the ‘August Fat Burnin’ and ‘Sizzlin’ September’ threads in the Intermitten Fasting area have served a similar purpose, albeit with quite a mix of participants. Dread's Progress Thread - Extended Fasting & Carnivore - another example of such a thing.

[quote=“OldDoug, post:4, topic:20670”]
There have been threads where people detailed daily events and information during their fasts, and recently the ‘August Fat Burnin’ and ‘Sizzlin’ September’ threads in the Intermitten Fasting area have served a similar purpose, albeit with quite a mix of participants. [/quote]

I really enjoyed the conversation in those threads - they brought people together with a common experience and for supporting each other. I like the idea of individual journals for long-term detailing of the individual’s progress. I had started one with my medical experiences. A journal thread would be a good place for that sort of thing.

(VLC.MD) #7

It works well on another forum for some of the regulars to get help from like-minded Keto friends.

(VLC.MD) #8

For a few people who are interested …
This seems the best place to put a Journal.

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/progress

Maybe if a few people want “one thread to track their stuff” … they can start one and see how it goes.

(VLC.MD) #9

A journal type thread for members could help collect longitudinal data to help document success stories. Good n=1 stories can help better understand the known and unknown aspects of weight and health.

Members also probably lose track of old topics(in the sea of topics) so even if they would update topics … they never get there.

If there was one place to keep the majority of the personal data … people would learn to use it.
The more data people provide about their Keto journey, the better help they get, the more success they have … a nice little positive feedback loop :slight_smile:

(VLC.MD) #10

Idea … embed chart data from Tableaux ?
Google docs ?
Does Discourse have custom fields for posts ?
Is there a journal addon ?
Are there smartphone apps that amalgamate data and that data can be synced/ shared with Discourse ?

When I was training for the 2006 Chicago Marathon I was a member of a community similar to this and found the ability to follow individuals as well as blog my own progress was extremely helpful in my accomplishing that bucket-list goal. I’d enthusiastically embrace that here as well.

(Darlene Horsley) #12

I for one would like it.

(Bacon for the Win) #13

mine’s under Accountability. But yes, a journal area such as Mark’s Daily Apple has would be nice.