Should I worry about blood glucose?

(CyndiL) #1

I’m only on 5th day of carnivore - original intent is to break a 4 month fat loss stall. I feel pretty great overall so far. However, I have not had ONE BG reading under 110 in 5 days, and no more measurable ketones. I only eat two meals a day and obvioulsy a bit higher protein overall then I was the last 10 months keto, I wasn’t expecting to see this response. I’ve worked like h*ll to drop my A1C from 6.3 to 5.0. Are these higher BG levels temporary while I adapt to carnivore? I have diabetes risk in my ‘genes’ and would seriously go back to keto just to have the lower glucose, and fat loss can happen in it’s own sweet time.

Would love to understand the ‘science’ behind this.

Thanks all!
Cyndi

(Chris) #2

Needs more time IMO, you could be adjusting to something.

I want to caution you against using this diet to break a plateau. This is much more of a long-term health journey than a quick way to lose extra weight. You may even gain (probably lean mass, though. TBF weight is a terrible indicator of fat %).

(CyndiL) #3

TBF? Not sure what that is?

(Chris) #4

To be fair.

(Ronald Weaver) #5

CBBT…can’t be bothered typing…

5 days isn’t sufficient time for the body to adapt to any diet. That said, the glucometer doesn’t lie. If it continues for more than a few weeks, it would be of concern for me.

The insulinogenicity of proteins vary. I know beef is a popular choice among carnivores, but you may want to experiment with other sources. I’ve tested my body’s response to beef, fish, and chicken. I know that beef raises my BG more than fish.

(Neal) #7

What does a normal day of eating look like for you at this stage?

(CyndiL) #8

Oh yes… well that’s why I said I want to break a ‘fat loss stall’ lol…

(CyndiL) #9

Well today I had two grass fed beef patties, about 1/2 pound total, with a little bit of cheddar. Yes that is all I had today but I am in the ‘no appetite’ phase. I am drinking my electrolyte water (keto-aid). I did pick up a BG reading of 95 and that was 3 hours post lunch. That made me feel better.

Yesterday I had ground beef fried with eggs and some cheddar for lunch (about 1/2 pound beef). And dinner was two pieces of fatty brisket - browned in bacon grease…maybe 1/4 pound total. And two deviled eggs.

I feel ‘full’ all the time so far and while I may not be eating enough, I can’t possibly add ‘more’ right now. Waking up groggy in the morning (usually I am up and working out by 5:30am) but feel energized, alert and almost ‘buzzed’ in the afternoons.

Tomorrow I have chicken thighs. And I hope to get a workout in- I do have rowing practice tomorrow so maybe I can burn some glucose off.

(Adam Foard) #10

Could it be possible you need more fat?

(CyndiL) #11

Maybe… I thought the fat in my fatty cuts of beef would be sufficient. Plus I cook in bacon grease or kerrigold. I don’t know how else to add more fat on carnivore beyond pouring butter over the meat after cooking it in butter lol… Should I go back to bulletproof coffee to boost daily fat? I had gotten away from ‘added’ fat on keto because I was stalled out for so long and wanted to burn my own body fat.

(Adam Foard) #12

Maybe some french sauces poured over the meat?

I haven’t done 100% carnivore, so I’m just throwing out ideas to help brainstorm,

(Khara) #13

Have you noticed an impact on your rowing with low carb, Keto, or carnivore eating? Do you do sprints or long distance?
I struggled with the sprints but seemed to just be warming up towards the end of longer distances.

(CyndiL) #14

I haven’t rowed all week but will find out tomorrow. More endurance rowing… I haven’t been able to wake up this week for my early rows. But that’s probably just ‘the flu’

Thanks everyone - looks like I may need to give it some more time and let my body adapt and tweak from there… just like early days of keto! I’m going to try not to sweat the Glucose too much for now. Definitely not going to worry about ketones.

(Deb) #15

I stalled for a year on ", then found out when I started testing bg and ketines that I never was “keto” at all.
Figure out your GKI (Glucose to ketone index)
Glucose ÷18= x
x÷ ketone reading
Anything over 9 and you’re not even in fat loss range.
6-8 is good
3-6 optimal
I tried carnivore obce in that year and it didn’t work for mr. Not saying it won’t work for you but it soubds like it may be causing issues.
I tested EVERY SINGLE THING that passed my lips for bg reaction and also elinated a lot of common “problem” foods.
Something to thing about maybe.

(Genevieve Biggs) #16
  1. Five days is not enough time. Try 60-90 days
  2. Ketones are NOT the be all end all.
  3. Read this. http://www.zerocarbhealth.com/index.php/2015/06/03/why-is-my-blood-sugar-so-high/

ZC 18 months

(Nicole Sawchuk) #17

Is there any update on the high glucose? Did it drop?

I have been almost straight carnivore for a month now. Suddenly this week my BG have shot up. I am hoping it will level out but curious to hear about others who have experienced this.