Should I quit keto?

(Carolyn aka stokies) #41

I am just curious- had you even done low carb prior to keto? I only ask because I had done Atkins in the early 2000s (1999-2000). I fat adapted fast as an SOB and my ketones have never been too deep/high. Yet I am very proficient at burning fat. I haven’t been at this a year yet and I’ve lost 95 pounds. Your lower weight being so close to what I am guessing is your maintenance weight could also be a part of why you are struggling with satisfaction, from an anecdotal perspective, and un-scientific one at that.

You’ve been given a lot of amazing info about the cholesterol aspect of your post, and can appreciate your hesitation. Convention can be terrifying. Being fat adapted and working out a lot I have noticed gains are smaller with weight training, but my cardio/endurance work has been off the chart. You seem to feel as if you are struggling which makes me wonder if you are fully fat adapted. I bike 30+ miles at the end of 24-48 hr fasts with no negative impact. I do drink a homemade electrolyte beverage to hydrate, but that’s it.

Were you ever insulin resistant or pre-diabetic? Or exhibit any other metabolic issues? Because healing from that can also skew lab results mid-current of health changes. Like my fasting glucose was 109 after fasting for results and I was highly annoyed by that :laughing: My cholesterol has always been ‘healthy’ even when I was staring at 300 pounds, and the numbers have increased at last test, 9 months into keto at that time. I am holding out to see if things improve for my annual appointment in 2 months and see how that goes before I let panic kick in. Cuz if nothing else that will just spike my cortisol/insulin :crazy_face:

Like I said, this is just my own experience with similar issues. Hang in there and really curious what you find works for you! Please keep us posted!

I have read a lot of studies that indicate cholesterol might not be a concern, but I’ve also read a few with the opposite conclusion. It adds to my confusion that there seems to be a study to support whatever you want, not to mention the fact that none really addresses people like me (low-carb, metabolically healthy, not on meds, working out, etc). I do know there’s no way in hell I would take a statin at this point and the fact that all four of the doctors I’ve talked to in the past month recommended that off the bat is enough to convince me they’re doing more harm than good in this arena.

I wasn’t really low-carb before keto, at least not consistently. I had gone about a year trying to avoid things like bread, rice, and pasta, but still ate grains and beans and fruit and once in a while would have binges where I’d eat cookies and cake and pastries.

I was never insulin resistant or pre-diabetic. In fact, last year my A1C was measured at 4.5 and now it’s 5.2, which I thought was strange. May I ask what your cholesterol numbers are now?