Should I even bother with cardio?

(George) #1

Let me start off by saying that I HATE cardio.

I have my wife on a weight lifting regimen with me, but lately she’s been pushing the idea of cutting back the lifting to 3x/week, and incorporating jogging 2x/week, in the hopes of supercharging our weight loss.

We would jog 5 evenings/week in the beginning of our weight loss journey, and while I did enjoy the empty, slimming feeling I felt the next morning, I wasn’t a fan of actually doing that kind of exercise LOL.

So, my question is, should I even bother with cardio? Does it make much of a difference?

(Scott) #2

It takes me about two weeks to “get into it” but after that I am hooked. I get hat runners high and crave it. I get up at 4:30 am put the 2ketodudes podcast on and hit the streets. Does it help I say yes but it is not real significant and you could probably do the same with walking.

(George) #3

I remember I didn’t mind it after a while, but I have this weird ankle issue that flares up (I’m assuming it’s from one too many sprained ankles in my early 20’s), and that drove up the “not minding it” back to full on hatred LOL.

('Jackie P') #4

Cardio doesn’t have to be jogging! Why don’t you and your wife put on some sounds and do an hours crazy mum and dad dancing!
Such fun!

(George) #5

Because I can only keep that up for so long before she topples over from laughter! LOL

('Jackie P') #6

Haha but isn’t laughter the best medicine !

(George) #7

haha indeed it is!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #8

As an amputee I haven’t been able to break into a jog for over 20 years. Cycling is another story. Easy on your ankles and knees. And a lot more pleasurable than running has ever been for me. It’s not much like “exercise”. :cowboy_hat_face:

(George) #9

I’ve been wanting to get a stationary bike for some time now, just don’t have alot of room for it at my place lol

I’ve got a regular bike that hangs on the wall (tiny house) - just bolt it into a bike trainer when I feel like a bit of cardio :slightly_smiling_face:

(Alec) #11

I think the evidence shows that cardio is not a great method of weight loss. So if that is the only motivation I would say skip it.

BUT, exercise in general is so healthy for you that if they could bottle it in a pill it would be compulsory and would be put in the water supply. Personal view, a balance of weights and cardio is the most healthy exercise regime for all round health. For weight loss, not so much.

(George) #12

I’ve got even less room for that! My wife has all the walls decorated, so no way of fitting a bike on there. Also, considering I live in one of the worst cities to be a cyclist (LA), I wouldn’t dare actually ride on the street with these crazy drivers LOL

(George) #13

Yeah that’s pretty much thee only motivation for the idea. When we did it initially (along with keto) we (especially me) were having consistent weekly weight loss, but when I realized the weight was still coming off when I switched to weight-lifting only, I just ditched cardio completely. Now that weight loss is slowing down a bit :frowning::frowning::frowning:, I guess that’s why the idea popped back up.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #14

Get a used cheap mountain bike and get outside. :cowboy_hat_face:

(George) #15

That’s like a suicide mission LOL

I’m with @David_Stilley - don’t you guys have the great mountain trails?

(George) #17

Not that I’m familiar with. I’m about an hour or so from the nearest mountains

Bummer!

(George) #19

I know! Southern CA isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. I hope to move to Arizona or Colorado one day soon LOL

(charlie3) #20

There are a few reasons to do cardio and losing weight is possibly the least of them. I don’t benefit from more than 3 30 minute lifting sessions per week. It elevates my heart rate to aerobic levels but it’s not enough. I walk 4 miles a day, 80 minutes, at 60-65% of age adjusted heart rate and 60 minutes of cardio on an air bike at 70-75% of max heart rate. The walking is zero burnout, I can do it everyday. It burns 450 calories. The hour of cardio burns 575 calories. If I was typically sedentary my resting metabolic rate would be 1,430 calories a day. Thanks to some added muscle mass my RMR is probably near 1,700. If I couldn’t eat those calories it would be almost impossible to get all the micro’s from food. The human body must be designed for a minimum amount of activiity regardless of age. I would never be able to limit calories to 1,430 calories a day meaning I’d gain weight. If I tried to burn 800-1,000 extra calories by resistance training alone I’d burn out in a few months. Even 25 years ago, younger and dumber, I knew my body was optimized for plain food and a hard work. If only I’d known I needed to reduce carbs and increase fat instead of the reverse.

One more thing, it is a social norm, when greeting someone to ask, how are you doing? Lately I’m more likely to be greeted with, ‘Hey, hi, you look great.’ That’s because I do and that’s because I earned it. I’m 70 and look 50 and it’s about nothing more than diet and exercise that just about anybody can duplicate. We should all be greeting each other that way all the time.