Should I be restricting calories when starting Keto?

I’m 18 days on Keto and was wondering if maybe I shouldn’t be restricting calories too? I have zero energy and scale not moving anyway.
Eating 1094cal 14carbs

Short answer: no.

Caloric deficit is not how this works.
There may be things that your body needs to fix first. Give it time you as may not be adapted yet.

(KCKO, KCFO) #3

No, do not restrict calories, unless you are a tiny woman you are not eating enough currently. at 1049 cals. Zero energy is a good sign you need to eat more. Also watch your electrolytes make some of this and sip on it throughout your day.

Keto isn’t about weight loss, it is about healing your body, so it can work properly again. Check out the resources thread on this site to better understand how this all works.

Once you are fat adapted, you might want to try some fasting, intermittent is a great way to start, just limit your eating window to 14/10 or 16/8 to start out. By then your body can pull its energy needs from its fat stores, which is where weight loss will come into play.

Good luck on sorting yourself out.

(Katie) #4

I think regardless of your height and weight, this is too low, especially for keto adaptation!!! Professional keto body builder coaches do not even take their female athletes that low in calories.

Do not worry about the scale changing, I actually recommend not even looking at it. Focus on eating healthy keto foods, and note how you feel over time, how you look over time (take progress pictures), and how your clothes fit over time.

It might be helpful for you if you listed your typical day of eating and we can provide recommendations.

(Susan) #5

You are doing great for the carbs -20 grams or less of net carbs is spot on, but you need more then 1100 calories, your body is too much in a deficit. As long as you keep the carbs as low as possible, have no sugar, and eat adequate proteins, healthy fats, drink enough water and electrolytes, then you should be good =). Your body goes through a period of carb and sugar withdrawal and has to adjust to this new eating pattern too.

A lot of things have hidden carbs, I find cronometer.com a great free app to keep track of your macros and see where you are at =). Best wishes and if you have any more questions, ask away, we all want to help =).

I’m 4ft11inchs maybe 5ft ? Still too low?

Your first step should be to have some idea of your likely macros:

Try sedentary with a 20% deficit. Too large a deficit can be counter-productive.

Having said that, about the only thing I take away from the calculators is the protein macro. Because you want to be in ketosis, the carbs should be under 20 grams anyway, so not much to set there. And, ideally, how many fats (and thus calories) you eat should be based on hunger. So the calculator, at best, is giving you a guesstimate of a lower limit for proteins and a guesstimate of an upper limit for carbs and fats.

But, if you do get hungry, eat. Mostly fats and proteins, but as few additional carbs as possible. Depriving yourself when hungry makes for an unsustainable situation.

In the end, I see keto as a simple: “Minimal carbs. Adequate proteins. Fats as needed (for satiety).”

(Marianne) #8

Excellent advice.

I get a little sad every time I see folks talking about calorie restriction, yet I understand people are just trying to find their way. Keep reading; I have such a profound respect for keto. It has been a Godsend to me. If you enjoy HF/LC eating, it can be one of the easiest things you have ever done. Definitely not a “diet” to me - although that’s what brought me here.

Good luck.

Weight loss, especially for women is more likely to be about hormones than over eating. I have never over eaten & gained 30 pounds in 4 months once due to hormone imbalance. Keeping carbs low balanced my hormones and all 40 pounds I gained in the last few years have melted off. I recommend taking a break from calorie counting honestly. Tracking can be helpful for some but for me it triggers massive food anxiety. I don’t even count carbs- I just stick to naturally low carb foods & read labels carefully (and measure my nut servings because that’s easy to go ham on)

No, no, definitely not yet, you eat too little now, it’s almost a given.
Okay, I am quite chill about fat loss anyway but when I started keto, it was a big change enough. If I was hungry, I ate. I never stay hungry anyway, fat loss be damned (but no, I want that so I search for an improved method) but this approach easily may work in your case. If not, you can still change something later. But for now, get used to this lifestyle. Even if one doesn’t lose anything first, fat adaptation may change that. Be patient. And if you want to change something, look at your diet and take out not so good items, don’t start to forcefully restrict calories. You may track and choose food based on your experiences and whatnot if it suits you but get satiated :slight_smile: and definitely don’t worry this early about calories. Maybe you won’t need to do that ever and how great is that? Very, I assure you.

(Jack Bennett) #11

Zero energy suggests possible “keto flu” and no fat adaptation, which is perfectly normal early on.

The early stages are for learning how to eat a lot of fat and very low carbs. Calorie restriction goes against this goal. After you’re experienced and fat adapted, you may want to deliberately eat less to lose body fat. For now, building the habit is more important.

It’s just your height… Your weight and activity matters too and other things as well, your energy need can’t be calculated, even your diet can affect it. But 1100 kcal is hardly enough for you and if you have no energy, eat more, seriously (at least if you feel it’s due to lack of fuel. I usually feel why I am enervated).

(Allie) #13

You’re already restricting calories surely? 1094 a day?! Why so low? Your body NEEDS fuel…

(Allie) #14

Way way way too low…

(KCKO, KCFO) #15

Yes, you need to eat more. I 5’3", and need over 2000 calories to maintain my weight. Mind you, I stopoped tracking after reaching my goal weight. Get used to it. Eat the right stuff, low carb, moderate protein, and enough healthy fats so you don’t feel hungry a couple of hours after eating.

I know disregarding calories is a lot to wrap your mind around. I struggled with my weight yoyoing for over 30 years. When I finally tried keto, it was a lot to get used to, but it worked, coupled with fasting, I reached my goal weight and since now maintain my weight at a few lower pounds. I don’t track anything (take that WW!!!) but I do weigh myself daily. I have a 3 lb. range, because water retention will happen no matter what eating plan you use. I in my third year of maintenance.

The forum is full of CICO information, use these search results to learn more.
https://www.ketogenicforums.com/search?q=calories%20in%20calories%20out%20doesn%27t%20work

Thanks so much guys ! I’m still trying to figured it out! Getting mixed suggestions from googling. Was hoping that going keto would help me lose those last 8-10lbs. I’m 5ft (maybe more like 4ft11) I’m around 108-110lbs. But have lots of areas with grabbable fat that I would like gone lol
My working out is sporadic and I should try to do better with that. I’ve stopped limiting myself calorie wise but that worries me lol