Should carnivore be the starting point?

(Bunny) #162

Incubation period?

(4)

I often wonder is it possible to be immune[4] to it?

I eat cow brains (cabeza in red chili and tacos too mmmm!) all the time, since I was child and I’m not dead yet? That includes eye balls, brains, olfactory nerves, tongue ect.

Prion infections are some nasty stuff, microwaves nor nuclear radiation can kill it? Meaning not even fire can incinerate it!

Seems that by looking at the dialog below plants can spread it too?

Eeeeek!

When you feed an animal or human the flesh of its own species that seems to be what causes it? (especially the brain mass)

Footnotes:

[1] “…Soto’s team analyzed the retention of infectious prion protein and infectivity in wheat grass roots and leaves incubated with prion-contaminated brain material and discovered that even highly diluted amounts can bind to the roots and leaves. When the wheat grass was consumed by hamsters, the animals were infected with the disease. The team also learned that infectious prion proteins could be detected in plants exposed to urine and feces from prion-infected hamsters and deer.

Researchers also found that plants can uptake prions from contaminated soil and transport them to different parts of the plant, which can act as a carrier of infectivity. This suggests that plants may play an important role in environmental prion contamination and the horizontal transmission of the disease.

To minimize the risk of exposure to CWD, the CDC recommends that people avoid eating meat from deer and elk that look sick or test positive for CWD. Hunters who field-dress deer in an affected area should wear gloves and minimize handling of the brain and spinal cord tissues.

“This research was done in experimental conditions in the lab,” Soto said of the next step. “We’re moving the research into environmental contamination now.” …More

[2] “…In 2009, researchers at the Medical Research Council discovered a naturally occurring variant of a prion protein in a population from Papua New Guinea that confers strong resistance to kuru. …” …More

[3] “…What disease do you get from eating human flesh? Prions cause a number of fatal diseases such as mad cow disease in cattle, scrapie in sheep and kuru and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) in humans. There is no cure and potential treatments are highly speculative. In recent years, however, biologists have discovered several animals that are immune to prion diseases. …” …More

[4] Resistance to prion disease in humans: “… Survivors of the kuru epidemic are heterozygous for a prion protein gene (prnp) with a unique amino acid change not seen in other populations, a change at position 127 from glycine to valine (G127V). The G127V change was always seen together with methionine at 129. Heterozygosity for M and V at amino acid 129, which is protective against prion disease, is found in humans all over the world. …” …More

[5] Brain disease ‘resistance gene’ evolves in Papua New Guinea community; could offer insights into CJD: “…Kuru is a fatal prion disease, similar to CJD in humans and BSE in animals, and is geographically unique to an area in Papua New Guinea. In the mid 20th Century, an epidemic of kuru devastated a population in the Eastern Highlands of Papua New Guinea. The infection was passed on at mortuary feasts, where mainly women and children consumed their deceased relatives as a mark of respect and mourning. This practice was banned and ceased in the late 1950s.

Scientists from the MRC Prion Unit, a national centre of excellence in prion diseases, assessed over 3000 people from the affected and surrounding Eastern Highland populations, including 709 who had participated in cannibalistic mortuary feasts, 152 of whom subsequently died of kuru. They discovered a novel and unique variation in the prion protein gene called G127V in people from the Purosa valley region where kuru was most rife.

This gene mutation, which is found nowhere else in the world, seems to offer high or even complete protection against the development of kuru and has become frequent in this area through natural selection over recent history, in direct response to the epidemic. This is thought be perhaps the strongest example yet of recent natural selection in humans.

Lead author Professor John Collinge, Director of the MRC Prion Unit said: “It’s absolutely fascinating to see Darwinian principles at work here. This community of people has developed their own biologically unique response to a truly terrible epidemic. The fact that this genetic evolution has happened in a matter of decades is remarkable. Kuru comes from the same disease family as CJD so the discovery of this powerful resistance factor opens up new areas for research taking us closer to understanding, treating and hopefully preventing a range of prion diseases.”

The study, which began in 1996, is published in the New England Journal of Medicine. …More

(Bunny) #164

At least with starting out carnivore (total elimination diet) you can find out what is causing the problem(s) and add stuff back in and get an idea as to what is the problem as with keto you never know?

40 years

(Bob M) #166

Interesting. I do have “restless legs”…sometimes. The problem is that it’s not very often and comes more often while fasting (or at least I think it does).

I think if you’re on a “normal” or high carb diet, it’s hard enough to go to low carb/keto. Mentally, I still look at fat and say to myself “that’s too much fat!”, and that’s after almost 6 years of low carb. The anti-fat mantra was beat into my head over 30+ years. To then add no “healthy” veggies or some fruits is even harder.

I do think that carnivore (without dairy) is the ultimate elimination diet.

(Bob M) #167

As a further point of clarification, I went to the inaugural Keto Fest (in 2017? 2016?), and Amber O’Hearn spoke about eating nothing but meat. I had been low carb/keto since 1/1/14. I thought she was crazy, as was anyone else who ate nothing but meat. I mean, everyone “knows” veggies are healthy, correct?

After eating more meat and fewer veggies, and trying a Whole 30 diet, I realize that some veggies affect me negatively. (Here’s looking at you, zucchini, raw sauerkraut, etc.) So, I’m more inclined to believe that an all meat diet might be good.

On the other hand, right now, I eat so few veggies that it’s hard to know what would happen if I ate none. Today, I’ll have eggs, cheese, ham, with some olives for lunch. Tonight, I might have a minor amount of veggies or possibly none. Last weekend, I had some broccoli (roasted, with bacon). If there is a detriment to some cooked or pickled vegetables (I like dill or fermented pickles), I can’t find it. This is similar to dairy: if there is a detriment to dairy for me, that detriment hides really well.

On the other hand, there are people who went from basically meat and veggies (and maybe dairy) to just meat and have experienced a benefit. The problem for me is that even I get sick of just eating meat, and some minor amount of veggies, maybe salsa, pickled veggies (pickles, olives) provides some much-needed variety.

(Bunny) #168

That’s what coconut oil is for…lol

(Elizabeth ) #169

Duck, shrimp, marrow, wings, brisket, pork belly, picanha, bacon, chicken livers, salmon, sardines, lamb, that’s are all in my freezer with steaks and ground beef. I’m never bored :wink:

older post but I am game :slight_smile:
heck yea carnivore would be the best darn starting place for anyone.

but truly I don’t think many can go straight there. It is radical, against so much old diet myth baggage we carry in our brains. Most people need to ‘wean’ thru the dieting myths and garbage out there and find their own pace of realism thru it all.

but first way to start with a total elim. menu like carnivore, yes!

older post again but geez I would love to know the outcome of your guinea pig experiment on your friend~
if you are around at all could you update what went down on it all? being curious on this one LOL

Nice older topic…

It may be a great starting point for many. Not for all.
I needed gradual changes, those few were drastic enough.
I got used to things in a few years and were ready for the next step. I only do a lifestyle change if it’s easy, smooth, I feel fine from day 1 (very tiny problems are fine and of course, challenges and hardships are normal but if I don’t enjoy my journey, I take another route).

Trying carnivore for a few days (in my own newbie little meat and lots of eggs style) was a super daring step from me even after much experience with low-carb and even keto (and not because I almost never ate meat in the previous decades. More like because of my precious vegetables). Just like keto (40g net carbs, anything lower was impossible for years to come but all time keto was out too. Because, you know, vegetables. In big amounts if possible) was a surprising, desperate and daring idea after years on low-carb (I actually tried earlier but couldn’t do it for 2 days, it felt bad) and my low-carb was already WAY stricter than many other people’s low-carb (80g net carbs or less, banned food groups, no heavily processed food, I bought ingredients and made my own stuff. Most of my carbs came from vegetables but I didn’t eat dry legumes either). Still, the change was great, even bigger and I would have had serious difficulties, probably.

So I am very pleased with my progress, it only took 9 years this far but I might be close…

Our circumstances and personalities are all different. I just want to feel fine (but I felt pretty okay on simple low-carb too. I felt quite healthy on high-carb and I got satiated and everything) and be healthy. And lose some fat.
If keto or carnivore would be significantly better than low-carb, even I wouldn’t do simple low-carb a lot.
I am just a hedonist who want the easiest, most enjoyable diet (I quite enjoy good health so that’s included) without using willpower because that’s tiring (and has little chance).

Carnivore is surely not for everyone anyway. So it’s individual. Some people would benefit from it right away. Or at some point. Maybe for some time. Some people don’t or they might benefit from it if they actually could do it but they never will and it’s better for them to do keto then quitting everything and going back to their bad old diet or something. So it’s quite complex, I am sure I barely scratched the surface here.

Carnivore probably sounds very extreme for most people, if not the one in question, their family or acquaintances and it’s very important for many people. I don’t care what others thing, I do what I consider right or fun if it’s about MY eating. It’s my business.
I like to think I am usually an open-minded one but surely a curious one and I have read about the carnivore diet years ago when I was pretty sure carnivore would be pure hell for me (nope, that’s low-fat especially combined with high-carb) and me going vegan has a greater chance than even just trying out carnivore (and I liked keto then and was a happy omnivore eating lots of animal products). I didn’t think carnivore is unhealthy, I just was sure it’s not for me. My eternal, strong love towards vegetables, that was there all my life. I still don’t know what the hell happened, actually. Yeah, vegetables are carby and carbs mess with me but passionate love has its own logic. And well, little vegetables are theoretically a thing (though I never could pull it off).
I still don’t feel I have much to do with this (but I can’t go totally back, it’s a weird feeling) but years ago while I wanted lots of vegetables (and had problems with only little) and definitely felt I couldn’t eat meat once per week or month? Nope, couldn’t happen. But my original keto could, somehow, for short periods.

Oh and I probably never ever will stop eating my precious eggs and little cheese. I still consider meat only carnivore hell for me (and it definitely would be that for me now) :slight_smile: Especially if it’s beef as I don’t really like that but as I almost never eat it this far, I can’t know anything. But I doubt it would be among my top favs. My taste is pretty stubborn.

(Oleg) #173

Hi @RobC!
I am in a similar situation. Are you having any positive results from this strategy at the moment?
Thanks for your feedback!