Short use by date - just as good!

(Marie ) #1

Ok, so this is just today’s “pop by the shop”-lot from the short use by/best before shelf at my local’s. But I honestly don’t think I’ve paid full price for any of the top quality meats I’ve been eating pretty much every day for years thanks to this little section in the shop! Most of the time there will also be fish, cheeses and other dairy products for reduced prices as well, so it’s well worth just checking in if your local shop has the same policy. It’s great!

I hit the clearance products too. As long as the meat isn’t changing color, I cook it up right away and/or freeze it for later.

Yep! Have a freezer full of reduced price stuff.

Safeway was my favorite (Australian grass fed beef and lamb), but now we have an Aldi’s. Aldi’s doesn’t mess around with 50% off they have $5 off and $2 off stickers. I don’t normally buy much chicken, but didn’t pass up buying a couple whole chickens for less than $3 each, or even the organic boneless skinless chicken breasts that were $5 off of ~$5.50 each. Can use the chicken in coconut milk, curry recipes. The regularly sell drumsticks for .69 pound and the first time I saw that they did markdowns, there were at least 10 of the large packs marked $2 off - I only bought one of the 4 lb packages which were all under $3 to start.

Even Walmart has grass fed/finished beef. The regular price for the chuck roasts is $6.36 per pound, but they reduce it to $4.45 per pound when the sell by date is less than 3 days away. This is from Australia and New Zealand. Each Walmart has different meats though.

Been there, got that. :wink:
I check that section first every time I’m shopping.

Was heading up to Target…stopped in Walmart to see if any ground meat was marked down. Score!
Grassfed/finished ground beef in one pound packages for $3.78 (80% lean). They also had the 90% marked down to $4.19. I left the 90% for someone else…bought 24 pounds of the 85. :slight_smile: These are the easy to freeze packages. Sell or use by date is tomorrow.
Didn’t make it up to Target.