Shillers for Killers: Is Big Carb bribing journos etc like Big Tobacco?

(Nick) #1

Ever puzzled why diabetes associations promote high-carb diets and journalists appear to print Kelloggsy-propaganda without question? Well, take a look at this brilliant article about what Big Tobacco did when people began to realise their products were killing people:

Shillers for Killers: How tobacco PR bribed journalists, activists

It’s a long article, but I sincerely suggest everyone read it in its entirety. If you ever think you’re being too cynical or conspiratorial about what Big Agra or Big Pharma is up to, this article will make it clear that your most paranoid imaginings probably don’t go far enough :frowning: Even organisations and people you might have thought had integrity come out tarnished, including the ACLU and Glenn Greenwald.

Here are some quotes from the various PR folk who bribed journalists and activists to promote Big Tobacco’s messages. They’ll be chillingly familiar to anyone who’s followed Gary Fetke or Tim Noakes:

The best PR ends up looking like news," brags one public relations executive. "You never know when a PR agency is being effective; you’ll just find your views slowly shifting.

Put your words in someone else’s mouth

[O]ur medical/scientific witnesses will say whatever we want them to say.

It would take many thousands of pages to chronicle the full extent of Big Tobacco’s penetration of academia; the scale of such collaborations is simply too vast.

Read a scary article
(Richard Morris) #2

Sugar lobbyists have already been busted buying research from th Harvard school of public health. So it doesn’t surprise me.

(Bart) #3

“Follow the money!” -Tom Naughton

Wow! I lost all respect for Malcolm Gladwell now.

(Nick) #5

It’s sad, isn’t it. And it shows how vigilant we need to be even with people we’d assume would be straight shooters. It seems everyone has their price, and large corporations are prepared to pay that price when they feel threatened.

The battle with Gary Fetke and Tim Noakes has been relatively easy in comparison with the more subtle corruption going on: it’s pretty clear that their persecutors are as hopelessly incompetent as they are corrupt. It’s the people gaming the system who you don’t even know are players that you have to worry about.

I don’t wish come off as some tinfoil hat conspiracist here. Everyone who knows me realises I revel in calm rationality. But when the stakes are this high, it is rational to assume that the players will do what they can to protect their chips. And let’s be honest, those chips are full of potatoes, seed oils and HFCS!