Shawn Baker on Joe Rogan Experience

(Chris) #21

(bulkbiker) #22

And that clearly says Santa Fe so I was talking crap (as per usual many would say)… @Dread1840 thanks for the correction buddy…

(Chris) #23

Lol no worries my good man.

(Elizabeth ) #24

Baker has reapplied for his license in NM it’s pending

(Jeanne Wagner) #25

Joe Rogan had Dr. Rhonda Patrick on his show back in October. They discussed a lot of course, but the carnviore diet came up along with Dr. Shawn Baker… and they basically badmouthed the diet and Dr. Baker.
http://podcasts.joerogan.net/podcasts/dr-rhonda-patrick-8 I wasn’t really happy with that. It’s a shame because I generally like Dr. Patrick (from other podcasts I’ve heard her on) but this was a different side of her. I also feel like she and Joe refer to too many epidemilogical data to back up their sides.

The fact is is that everyone is different (even twins), and we do all have to find our own ways into ultimate nutritional balance. That is something most people will never do. They read the headlines from stories written about epidemilogical studies and run their lives based on that. 99.9999% of people don’t even know how to decipher these studies if they could even track them down. I’ve done that before… try to track down studies mentioned in these stupid ‘headline articles’ only to come up on either another article with the same bunk, or restricted access sites that I can’t get into to actually read the study. Pub Med? Yeah I I’ve been there and tried to do research and the search alone is hard to do and end up with any meaningful results. When you put in very wide paramaters, you do get a lot of results. Then you have to sift through them to figure out if it’s anything to do with what you’re looking for. And then you have to decipher them. It’s not easy, and only the most inquisitive scientific minds would spend any time on it. That’s what the Ivor Cummins and Dave Feldmans of the world are for. :slight_smile:

I have a problem with anyone badmouthing anyone else. They just lose all my respect.

Shawn Baker badmouths vegans. Offensively and aggressively.
All he achieves is that I dismiss him as a useful source.
(I don’t agree with most vegan ideas, but they are entitled to their own opinions, just like everyone else.)
Then vegans badmouth Baker.
And now you say Patrick and Rogan are doing it too.

Unprofessional petty point scoring does nothing to win arguments or educate. It just causes polarisation and division.

(Brian) #27

I can agree with that, at least to a certain extent. But I have yet to know what to do with statements that are just wrong.

For instance, I have a vegan friend that posted a meme on Facebook a while back that was basically saying, “Beef = Broccoli”, and going through the “has just as much protein” kinds of stuff that just isn’t so. Don’t get me wrong, I happen to like broccoli, quite a lot. And I eat broccoli fairly often. But trying to say that the I can eat broccoli and get everything I would get if I ate beef is quite a stretch, well beyond the reality I live in.

So what do you do with statements like that, especially when you’re expected to agree with them? FWIW, I did not agree but wrote a FB reply that basically outlined the nutritional value of each, both of which might be considered useful for nutritional input, but equal, no. The whole post ended up being removed and pretty much unmentioned again. (I’ve not had him as a friend on FB for a while now but I’ve cut way back on FB, mostly just a few family that I don’t see as often as I’d like that I can keep in touch with.)

I don’t hate vegans. For a while, I was one. I don’t desire to be unkind but I also won’t agree to a lot of what turned out to be foolishness to me, “Beef = Broccoli” being just one example.

To be fair, vegans are usually the first to throw a hit. The mainstream vegan movement routinely calls us all murderers, makes tone deaf comparisons equating animals to women and people of color, compares meat-eating to slavey and the Holocaust, blames us for destroying the environment (to say noting of their carbon footprint), among other things. I know #notallvegans, but veganism is first and foremost a political movement, so after a certain point we can dish it back.

People are wrong all over the world, every day.
Nothing any of us can do to change their minds.
I don’t interact with zealots (it isn’t worth my time) because they are only set to transmit, and don’t receive. So I would be wasting my time.

Trouble is, zealots come in all varieties, and when I encounter a carnivore or keto zealot, I flinch just as hard as i do with a religious, political or vegan zealot.

I’m happy to give/post a reasoned, polite, referenced rebuttal, but I’m not going to get emotionally invested in changing their mind. Life is too short.

(James) #30

I commented on one of Shawn Baker’s youtube videos. I received a lot of very angry feedback. Out of curiosity, I looked at their youtube pages…all vegans :man_shrugging:

(Jeanne Wagner) #31

Don’t get me wrong, they didn’t trash him and it… but they kind of acted superior about it, like in a way that said carnivore isn’t sustainable… duh! <-- their duh not mine. I guess you’d have to listen and come to your own conclusions but that was my interpretation. Generally speaking.