Severe Intestinal Trouble When Ending Fast

I just ended my 3rd 96 hour fast. Every time I have severe stomach and intestinal distress for a few days after. I am breaking the fast slowly and not gorging or eating excessively. Shakes and bulletproof coffee during first day. Any thoughts?

(bulkbiker) #2

MCT oil in the BPC? just a thought as that can cause issues.

(Allie) #3

What are you breaking the fast with?

(Robert C) #4

I think ending a fast right is very individual. I have no tolerance for the “5 nuts and a leaf of lettuce” type meals over the first couple of refeed days. I want to eat! But, like many, I learned it is very easy to go too fast.

So, I tried small amounts of bacon and eggs and then waiting a hour before a regular meal after my next few fasts (which still produced distress) so, I assumed that distress was just a given. Then I read Dr. Fung suggesting NOT breaking a fast with eggs so I tried 4 ounces of meat. That worked great - 4 ounces of chopped fatty meat, wait an hour (I now try for two hours) which gets digestion going again and then a regular meal.

In your case, maybe switching from liquids to solids would be a good idea (just if X doesn’t work try Y thinking).

good advice thank you

(Steve) #6

I really wouldn’t even think of doing coffee during a refeed. It has a tendency to get things moving and that’s the last thing you need that first day.
As Robert said - what works best for breaking your fast is very individual…it’s all about trial and error finding the best way to get you back to your routine.
Me, I break a fast with green tea, then a pints of water with 1T ACV, then some broth with some butter added in. Then wait about an hour and have a salad.
Then I wait another hour before having a more substantial meal (usually have another pint of water with ACV before that meal too). Helps with the digestion and keeps you from getting heartburn / acid reflux.
I just did my first 96 hour fast and I was able to go back to OMAD the next day without any problems. :slight_smile:
Hope that helps!

(Candy Lind) #7

I’ve heard advice to not break a fast with nuts because they are hard for your system to process, but I broke my last one with macadamias and a small caprese salad (fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, ACV, EVOO) and had only a few minor grumbles. I will be extra careful when I get back out on the road - maybe just some bouillon with butter in it - can’t afford disaster pants when you’re driving!! :dizzy_face::crazy_face:

(Robert C) #8

@CandyLindTX reminded me of another strategy I’ve been using to avoid disaster pants at an inappropriate time. Basically it is that I never assume that what worked last time will work again this time so I never start refeeding after a multi-day fast until I have an empty evening to do it - if something social comes up, I just wait. In my mind it is MUCH easier to just wait another night or two than it is to take a chance driving, going to a movie, etc. because if you take a chance and jump in a car after doing what you think will work - you could be headed for a lot of pain and a big car cleaning bill.

(Liz ) #9

I have “disaster pants” about 50% of the time during a refeed following a fast that’s over 2 days no matter how delicately I approach my first meal. I’ve been fasting weekly for months.

Megan Ramos of Intensive Dietary Mgmt suggested breaking a fast with some psyllium or chia seed in water which I will try next time.

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #10

I always have 1TB psyllium in about 8oz water before bed the night before breaking an EF. I may have another dose the next morning.

I break my fast with 2C bone broth. If all seems well I’ll have a normal meal 1/2hr later.

This regime cured my post fast “digestive streamlining” issues. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

(Raj Seth) #11

I am on day 8 of an indefinite (no more than 16) EF. I am planning on 4 TB psyllium husk, and a quart of water. 1/2 hour - 4 oz of fatty meat - pork belly or 2KD pulled beef. 1/2 hour - feast on whatever if still hungry. Problem is I get home at 8pm from travel, and go out on vacay early next morning (long flight).
Disaster pants are unacceptable. I am hoping for the best!

(Steve) #12

If I were you, I’d start my refeed as far in advance of going on vacation as possible then. You really want your stomach ready for whatever you’re going to be throwing at it. Maybe pull the chute a day earlier than planned?
(or is that tomorrow that you’re heading out??) :slight_smile:

(Raj Seth) #13

Nah - going on vacay the morning after returning from work travel. No flexibility on that. Next day, in a hotel. so maybe 8 TBSP psyllium husk - ughhhh

(Steve) #14

Right, so I’m suggesting you break your fast while still on work travel. A bowl of chicken broth…then give it an hour or so. I like Richard’s suggestion on their one podcast to have something fermented to help the gut rebuild - so maybe some sauerkraut and a wee bit of sausage? (I’d go mild…hot sausage would likely be a very bad idea!) :smiley:

(Raj Seth) #15

aaah I did not comprehend earlier. Of course, that means doing this in a hotel room late at night - I have late day work…
I have to figure out how to make it work. Getting real keto food at random hotels is not always easy…

(Steve) #16

Heh…I hear you…but, me, I’d rather be a little off at work than vacation. :slight_smile:

(Raj Seth) #17

AIrline pilot - I’d rather be a little off at vacay rather than work!!

(Steve) #18

Ouch!! Yep…withdrawn!!! :smiley:

(Jane Srygley) #19

Thanks for this thread! I just finished a 43-hour fast yesterday and did NOT break it carefully. I felt ok last night and today but then all of a sudden my intestines rebelled! I will try the chia and/or psyllium idea next time and follow 30 minutes later with 4 oz protein. Thanks again :slight_smile: