Setpoint causing hunger urges

(Ethan) #21

Was it the low-carb one though?

(Richard Morris) #22

Rob has the inside scoop

(Adam Kirby) #23

Basically if you want sustainable weight loss don’t try the Biggest Loser approach!!

(Adam Kirby) #24

I wonder if it would be possible to repair her metabolism if she went on an overfeeding LCHF period. Or is there a point at which you can trash your metabolism that there is no coming back?

(Vladaar Malane) #25

I would think any metabolism is fixable through fasting, and than a Low Carb High Fat diet afterward. The reason I believe that is the study where the guy fasted 382 days, lost all the weight and with it the insulin resistance normalized and he kept it off.

(Adam Kirby) #26

That’s true but that was just an obese guy, not someone who intentionally beat their metabolism to a pulp for 6 years.

(Vladaar Malane) #27

I didn’t know there was a difference.

I think there is huge variation between different people.

Although I don’t know the 382dayfast man’s life history, it is perfectly possible that he had never dieted before, fasted, lost the insulin resistance, and then kept the insulin resistance down by keeping the weight off.

That is a very simple fix (I am not going to say ‘an easy fix’, because I don’t think 382 days of fasting could ever be ‘easy’).

On the other hand, a post menopausal woman, with a lifelong history of low calorie yoyo dieting, other hormonal issues, other health issues, etc. etc. might well find that the simple fix of extended fasting does not work quite so well. In fact, expecting that fasting will fix their metabolism is optimistic. Too many other factors, including various hormonal situations not related to weight or food.

Fasting is a fab fix for many, but it isn’t a cure all.

Always, but even more so when weight lifting, please, please use a tape measure to rate your progress! The scale lies.