Serotonin, Depression, & Keto

My mom found some correlation between low carb consumption and depression. I believe she found this on a podcast of some sort. Perhaps THM?
Regardless, I’m having a difficult time finding information for or against this idea. Any help provided would be greatly appreciated!

Not the specific thing you are looking for but on a similar note with many citations.

(jilliangordona) #3

Anecdotal, but my depression has disappeared since removing carbs

Dietdoctor.com discusses keto and depression.

(Carpe salata!) #5

Same here.

The ketovangelist podcast did an episode on thiswith Georgia Ede recently. https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-ketovangelist-podcast/id999487887?mt=2&i=1000390405002

(Nancy Nancersin) #7

I think depression with low carb is very individual. personally, there is a strong history of depression on both mother / father families. When I did LCHF the first time years ago, I found I had trouble with depression. Fast forward MANY years, I discovered 5-HTP which is a supplement that makes the building blocks of seratonin (low levels can cause depression) more available to brain. Seratonin is increased with carb ingestion which may be one reason people with depression self medicate with carbs. I use 5-HTO every night now and no probs with depression and Keto. May be placebo effect but dont really care. Risk/ benefit more than worth it to me.

They talked about depression in ep 80 also, how keto helps depression by increasing neurogenesis, and how low serotonin is not really the cause of depression, it’s a good episode

Me too. I have also almost eradicated my migraines - I used to get them nearly half of each month.

(Becky) #10

Me too! Depression and anxiety gone!

(Ellen) #11

So let me get this straight, keto can help me lose weight, get healthier (pre diabetes & slight fatty liver) AND possibly alleivate my depression??? WTF is this not pushed by the health services?

(Mike W.) #12

Because $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

(Carpe salata!) #13

Yeah. Imagine all the drugs they’re not selling me now because I’m not a sick person any more.

(MooBoom) #14

Same here.