September 2020 IF/EFChat Thread (All Welcome)

(Jane Srygley) #1

Hey everyone! I completed a 29-hour fast this morning. I’m doing really well FINALLY and I know that fasting is a big part of that, though finally settling on an eating plan that actually WORKS is probably the biggest reason that I’ve finally started seeing some weight loss.

My next fast will be a Sunday OMAD IF, then I plan to do another all-day fast next Thursday. I’ll probably take the following week off fasting except for the OMAD on Sundays. I think it’s good to let my body know that yes, there will still be times that I eat daily. I fully intend to get to a maintenance diet someday and will probably eat every day at that point except for the occasional reset fast, fast for autophagy, etc.

Any other early September fasters?

I’m in… or, rather I should say, back in. :slight_smile: :+1:

I actually stopped Fasting altogether, back around 8-9 months ago. There was no real rhyme or reason for this, other then possibly to just give Fasting a break for a while and just enjoy some nice meals, and work on creating some new Recipes? But I admit when I do Fast regularly, at times tend to want to Fast quite often. (My Wife got to the point where she was saying it seemed like every time we went grocery shopping, or if we had just made a bunch of stuff for a few night’s dinners, I would decide to Fast.) Can’t say she was wrong, since it did seem to be the case most times. - But I actually just restarted back up Fasting earlier last week. And I’ve already ended up doing two small Fast of 44 hr. and 36 hr… And in the past week, have put in two more, 45 hr. & 42 hr. … So I think I’m going to try and keep them on the smaller scale for now, basically skipping a day or so here and there, and maybe doing a longer one every other month or so. … I do still alternate OMAD and TMAD regularly. Presently at 19.5 hrs. so it will probably be around 27 hrs. when I eat dinner tonight. So my OMAD’s do go 24-30 some times too

EDIT: Was on the phone with the Wife shortly after posting the above, and since she mentioned not feeling all that well and may not eat tonight. We changed plans and I went ahead and ate something for an OMAD here at work. So it ended up being just shy of 21 hrs. or so for today…

(KCKO, KCFO) #3

I am doing OMAD today, Sat. will also do one on Mon

Since we are expecting snow, yea, bloody snow on Tues. and we will have raspberries, tomatoes and zukes harvested before that kills the plants, will probably not do another one until Thurs. So that is my plan at this point.

(Ethan) #4

Starting in September, I’ve gone back to eating only on days that begin with S or T. I feel so much better and rest more when faster more often

(KCKO, KCFO) #5

Ended up doing the OMAD on Sunday rather than Monday, I had forgotten it was Labor Day on Monday, so TMAD today.

(Susan) #6

I fasted 49 hours from Friday till Sunday night. Otherwise I do OMAD. I feel so good when I am fasting. Just water and black coffee.

I’m actually the opposite. I like to do most Fast during the weekdays, and keep weekends for cooking or creating recipes. :slight_smile: - I’m also going to jump back in for another one myself. I’m just not sure if I will wait to start after Dinner tonight, or just keep rolling from now? But so far it sounds like the Wife, & possibly Son, may not be eating Dinner tonight either? But either way I’ll be Fasting by tonight.

(Susan) #8

I still have ongoing issues with bad carbs at work at night. I have to eat there so I don’t indulge.

That’s understandable. - These days I’m usually in the office doing GIS and other computer related stuff. So unless I get pulled out to perform a site assessment or evaluate problems, the days can and do feel much longer when I don’t eat lunch. And I do find eating time can help break up the monotony some when you just need a break, at least for a little bit. But if I can stay busy, it’s not as bad. Plus I too like to switch up from OMAD to TMAD so it keeps things mixed up when I do eat.

Hi all, I’m back for a 5 day fast… really struggled since the start of lockdown, eating carbs and falling back into old behaviors. I just looked at the log of my scale and I steadily gained 6 kg since April :confused:

I think I have found my focus again and currently 36 hours into hopefully a 120hr fast. Hoping to kickstart my good eating WOL and soon be back feeling fit and awesome :sunglasses:

(Allie) #11

OK so I’m back to fasting again after taking about a year off because my health started to suffer with too much fasting where I had been doing 5 days at a time and causing too much stress to myself.

Now I’m back and starting each week with a minimum 36 hours from Sunday afternoon to Tuesday morning and 16/8 (which normally ends up 18/6) the rest of the week and it is so easy! This is my fourth week back fasting, I’ve changed nothing else, and within the first ten days I dropped 7lbs from the 125lbs I had been comfortably maintaining, to 118lbs. But, the most important thing to me is how well I’m coping with it and how good I’m actually feeling with this new routine.

My BF% is now really low, if my Renpho scale is to be believed I’m at 16% now from 17.5% reported just a few weeks ago, so I’m thinking going forward I may need to supplement my Monday fasts with some fats but for now I will continue as I am as things are going so well.

Something else I’m noticing is a massive change in appetite, bear in mind this is my seventh year keto so none of this is new to me but something has clearly changed. Historically whenever I ended a fast of any more than 24 hours I would be crazy hungry and could easily eat 2000 calories straight away. Now, I break my fast with my usual fatty coffee and don’t even feel hungry. Today I’ve had coffee, made a second coffee to bring into work with me but that’s still untouched, and brought food with me which is also untouched.

Seems I’ve found a routine that fits :grinning:

I stopped for 9-10 months myself, Allie. (Think November of 2019 was my last recorded Fast before coming back just a few weeks ago) But I think it was more just to give it a break, and simply eat more meals for a while. I’ve never had any issues with Fasting itself, and it’s never been a struggle for me since starting back in the day. I just thought taking a break from it for a while might be a nice change, but I can say it’s been enjoyable getting back into it now. Though I too am trying to limit myself from going too crazy with it, wanting to Fast all the time. - I’ve put in two moderate Fast the past two weeks, and I am presently Fasting now, but will probably try skipping some weeks to keep it changed up like most everything else. So presently just at 13 hrs. but never sure how long I will go.

*Broke tonight at 45 hrs. Felt fine and honestly not hungry and even thought to maybe extend it another day or so. But then thought since I haven’t been Fasting much lately, maybe these smaller Fast would be even better to kick the system around some since it’s not used to it? I dunno really, but one thing that surely didn’t change, is that as soon as I break a Fast, I immediately want to go back and start another. … I’m not sure what causes this, maybe the overall empty feeling that comes with it? Can’t really say.

@Shortstuff … Funny you mention the appetite change thing, cause I had that happen tonight. Asked the Wife to make me a Salad, and then had planned a couple Burgers. But not 2 or 3 bites in, I didn’t even feel like I wanted anything. I did end up eating, since I do believe in Feasting after breaking a Fast, but I sure didn’t feel like I wanted nor needed it? I’ve always tried to put at least 4 meals in, 2 a day, for 2 days between Fast. And this has always worked well since I started.

Broke my fast early at 48 hour. Life got in the way and that is okay… i do feel a lot ‘lighter’ than before the fast, even after eating for a few days after :slight_smile:

I think I will try to do a 48 each week (not eating between Sunday and Tuesday dinner). Monday is not my favourite day anyway :joy:

(Allie) #15

Yes that’s it for me too, I can happily have one of my fatty coffees to break fast then have actual food hours later.

Yesterday was weird though, I was really hungry and ended up having an evening meal which wouldn’t normally happen Fasting or not, but I’m determined to pay attention to my body and give it what it needs.

Well, though not planned, I guess I’m Fasting again… I left the house 16 hrs. ago, and around 2:30pm we got slammed by one of the worst storms I’ve seen. I had staff out at the Pumping Stations early, but what came down was something we hadn’t seen before. I had just started a meeting my AD wanted me to run, when my inspectors started calling & telling me they were getting slammed by a massive storm that just appeared out of nowhere. My AD had just walked in my office and told everyone we needed to cancel the meeting and we shot out the door. … Every road, in every direction was under water & they were already performing water rescues along some of the major roads… roads we had to drive thru to get to the Pumping Stations. I had to actually drive through waters that were up to my windows in my Jeep, but we had no choice. I had to get to the stations that no one was at, and police already had a lot these roads blocked, but I explained we were the only folks that could even try to get the waters down.

I reached out and had all hands on out there, including some contractors, but there wasn’t much we could do with the amount of rain that fell so quickly. All we could do was keep all the stations running full out, and it took many hours just to start seeing any relief in lowering the waters in the roads. … So since I’m just waiting for my Son to finish his shower, so I can follow suit and jump right in bed, doesn’t look like I will be eating anytime soon. So may as well just go with it, and skip tomorrow as well. :slight_smile:

(KCKO, KCFO) #17

Where was this Dave. Sounds like a rough day for sure.

(Megan) #18

Hi! Hope I can join. I need to get back on the fasting bandwagon. In Sept Ive concentrated on closing my window at 7 or 8 and going until about 4 or 5 for my feast. Next week I will start 2 42 hour fasts again until Halloween then go back to OMAD thru the holidays and hopefully just maintain.

(KCKO, KCFO) #19

Welcome Megan. Sounds like a good plan to me.

All the best.

It was in Central Maryland, just outside Washington D.C. … When I say bad storm, I meant as far as the rain fall amount, or more so, how fast it came down. I think they mentioned that D.C set a record at 2.88 inches an hour? We were informed today that the area where my stations are located & where my staff and I were at, was just under 5" in less then an hour. (Think it was recorded at 4.88 inches) Needless to say, it caused instant flooding and roads everywhere were underwater in mere minutes. - A lot of folks stranded instantly with nowhere to go & traffic was at an instant gridlock. … It had already been raining since Wednesday, and I had staff manning the stations around the clock that entire time. So when it came, there was no saturation left & no storage areas that weren’t already full. It simply overwhelmed everything. … I have dealt with larger amounts of rain from storms over the years, but these were over a lot longer timeframes, sometimes many days. But I’ve never seen that much water fall so damn fast. A lot of the surrounding roadways had portions with 4 feet or more of water, and most simply closed off.

It’s been a mess, and a long couple days. … And when I got home tonight, I was quite tired and started to feel a little wonky. After an hour or so, I decided to break and try eating something. Not sure how much better I feel, but I’m definitely not as tired. :slight_smile: Broke at just 30.5 hrs.

Welcome Megan :+1: