September 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

(Mame) #21

ABBA song now in my head… ‘fasting queen’ :rofl:

I am not suffering alone!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #22

Fellow fasters,

Just back from holiday in Germany and France. I was able to skip breakfast for 6 of 11 days. Some days first bite was at 2 pm or later. But dinner was also late. Still, I was able to get some IF in.

On October 2nd I will be having a lot of blood work done by my cardiologist. So the run-up before will be three feasting days and 14 hours of water fasting.

That gives me 3 weeks to get a weekly extended fasting in. If plans work, I will be starting a ~70 hour fast this Sunday after dinner. I have missed extended fasting.

I’m glad to be able to get back to a “normal” schedule of fasting and life’s logistics. click click:

(Jane) #23

lol @ Fasting Queen and ABBA song!

49 hours in and on the downhill slide. Once I make it this far I know I’ll make it to dinner tomorrow.

BG: 74 (4.1)
BK: 5.3
GKI: 0.78
Boz: 14

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #24

You go Jane. Awesome.

(Susan) #25

I love the Wizard of Oz!

Awesome on the 4 pound loss on your holiday and best wishes with all your fasting goals =).

(Susan) #26

Now I will be thinking of that song when Fasting too, I never even thought of it when I thought of the nickname for you, hehe. You are doing great, though, Janie. Keep up the good work!

(Jane) #27

62 hours in and not hungry - just empty feeling (which I love). I’ll do one more blood test before I break my fast around 70 hours. Looking forward to my creamy fatty coffee at dinner

(Mame) #28

Wow this week is going by “fast”!

I am at 13 hours of a 40h fast. I have my lift to failure training session tomorrow morning 630am!

I have my fasting crutches ready if needed.

I haven’t had bk >1 since I had gluten-free fried chicken and half pint of rebel ice cream over the weekend, so my numbers aren’t that interesting. I think they were bg=83, bk=.9, gki=5.11 which is ‘high’ for me.

We’ll see what they do tonight.

Wishing all a great and easy day!

(Bob M) #29

That’s a good way to do it. I just had my lifting to failure (about 35 minutes) followed by HIIT on a Dreadmill for about 15 minutes, a little over 55 minutes total. Average HR of 121 according to my monitor. That’s about the 32 hour mark, and I will break (have broken) my fast at about the 37 hour mark.

No blood sugar or ketone results for me, as I’ve given up taking them after 4+ years (and a ton of money) of doing so. I only take them now while testing something. Oh, I guess I still take readings once a day or so while at work on my ketonix, first generation. Got a 37 after fasting 32+ hours plus exercise. For reference, I got a 51 in the morning after fasting 84 hours or so. After almost 6 years low carb, all my values are low unless I fast a lot. Looking through my records, 3+ years ago, my ketonix read 50-80+. Now, the maximum I’ve seen in a while is 62, and I commonly average in the 20-40 range.

Good luck to everyone, and I’ll be posting next week again.

(Susan) #30

That is awesome, Janie =).

(Katie) #31

Hey everybody! Just checking in, still doing alternate day fasting. I just finished reading the obesity code by Jason fung, however I’ve got a few questions. He presents a solid argument on how fasting actually boosts your metabolism after a few days instead of completely crashing it. If that’s the case, isn’t it logical to not require a longer period of refeed after a longer fast? Say I fast 3 or 4 days, I’ve read on these forums to maintain your metabolic rate, you would need to refeed for 3 or 4 days before returning to your regular schedule. Any thoughts?

(Jane) #32

69 hours in and will be breaking my fast soon. Blood numbers about the same as yesterday - Ketones a bit lower, glucose a bit higher.

BG: 87
BK: 6.7
GKI: 0.72
Boz: 13

(Jane) #33

Paging @Brenda

She works for IDM and can answer this question for you.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #34

Katie

Have you done 3 or 4 day fasts yet. Fasting is not a contest, it is a process. Refeeding (feasting) is not meant to be crazy over eating. Just eating nutrient dense foods that are keto appropriate. But your system has to come back into alignment with food in the intestinal track.

On my best weeks I try to get one 3 day fast in and most other days are IF 18/6. I occasionally get an OMAD day in here and there.

Also it depends on how heavy you are. If you have a lot of weight to lose you can probably fast more than once a week. But start small like 2 2-day fasts a week. Then expand.

Also why is the ADF not working for you or are you just exploring?

(Katie) #35

Oh adf is working great, I lose about 2 to 3 pounds roughly each week. In his book, dr fung just talks about the benefits of 3 or 4 day, or longer, fasts. I have done a 72 hr fast before I started adf to try and kinda break my possible insulin resistance. I know after a certain point in keto I used to just kinda stop losing weight for a while, and that’s typically when I would have given up previously. I really think that 3 day fast helped me, because I’m a month and a half in and about 25 pounds down, but still have another 25 to 30 to go. I guess my idea of fasting is why not go longer and use up those fat stores? I guess on another post I read that you need to have as many feast days as fasting days so that your metabolism stays good, but I’m wondering if that’s reliable info because Fung said the longer you fast, your metabolism actually improves as long as there are fat stores available. Why couldn’t I fast 3 days, eat normally for a day and then fast for 3 more?

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #36

I did not take that from the book. There are downside risks for longer fasts and refeeding as well. Mineral lose and lean muscle loss is still be debated. I’m not an expert and there are people here that fast more than 3 days but why not be patient with the weight loss. It probably took you awhile to get where you are, it may take some time to get it reversed. Pushing harder may not be healthy.

(Katie) #37

So on page 241 in the book, it talks about adrenalin saying:
“Fasting increases adrenalin levels, starting at around 24 hours. 48 hours of fasting produces a 3.6% increase in metabolic rate, not the dreaded metabolic shutdown so often seen in caloric-reduction strategies. In response to a 4-day fast, resting energy expenditure increased up to 14%. Rather than slowing metabolism, the body revs it up more. Presumably, it does this so we have energy to go out and find more food”
Am I misunderstanding this?

(Katie) #38

But as to the other part, yes I suppose you’re right. I do have a tendency to want immediate results. I just read of these incredible amounts of weight being lost over longer fasting periods, and am wanting to tap into that I suppose. Would a 5 day fast be better than a 2 day fast, one day feast, 2 day fast? Metabolically, I mean…

(Failed) #39

On hour 24 of an x hour fast. Hoping to make it to mid-day tomorrow.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #40

Basal metabolic rate is your long term metabolic rate. This seems to be the metabolic rate of fasting not a change to your long term rate.

I know that most fasts I have more energy aka adrenalin.