Seaweed fed meat

(Karim Wassef) #1

The answer to healthy omega 3 and saving the planet?

(DougH) #2

Feed cows grass, on pasture, and rotate them. Grass feeds the cows, cows feed the grass, it is the exact process that we selectively bred cows for.

Maybe it is close enough to grass that the cows will tolerate it, but shouldn’t they just eat grass.

(Bob M) #3

Cows save the planet if you use them correctly:

https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2017/07/02/low-carbohydrate-diet-and-climate-change/

(Karim Wassef) #4

Cows like the seaweed and it requires less fermentation and delivers more omega 3 into their yummy meat & cream.

(Bunny) #5

Help curb emissions that naturally belong in the atmosphere to begin with?

(Karim Wassef) #6

I just want omega 3 beef - the methane gas reduction is secondary :smiley:

Me every single time anyone tries to blame global warming damage on individuals eating meat (or taking long showers, etc):

(Allie) #8

Cows will eat skittles if you offer them… they’re designed to eat grass, feed them grass. I can’t see cows ever grazing in the sea to naturally eat seaweed.

This is awesome. Some people call dugongs, or manatees, sea cows. I’m not sure if they are ruminants.

All the seaweed is doing is feeding the fermenting barrel inside the cow. It’s feeding the rumen biome. That’s why the cow, the wrapper to that biome, can eat any cellulose vegetable based nutrition and get it converted into animal products like meat and dairy.

Seaweeds can grow faster than grasses. And they grow in seawater! They don’t need fresh water.

It would be great to get all those sea minerals and iodine as well as Omega 3s.

Great post.

(Bunny) #10

I think it’s a great idea as some livestock are also fed crushed crustation shells and other left over parts of marine life…

Also bumps up % the Activator X (Vitamin K) content in the meat touted by Weston Price!

(Karim Wassef) #11

Omg!!! I want a manatee steak.

Any animal we raise for food increases in population… we should breed and sell manatee meat… Save the manatees! So I can eat them.

(Bob M) #12

OK, people, let’s get scientific. There is no evidence that adding seaweed to a ruminant’s diet is going to be good for them or us. Too many omega 3s are bad, too:

Furthermore, where are the cows raised? Right next to the sea? No. Inland, which means you’re shipping seaweed to them, thereby increasing global emissions. It’s like the practice of shipping salad greens from California to the east coast: take something with little to no nutritional value and ship it several thousand miles using tons of gasoline and diesel. No one talks about the effects of getting food to you, but that has an effect. The same will be true with seaweed.

(Karim Wassef) #13

Seaweed has great nutritional value … iodine being my favorite… but the benefit is in increasing omega 3… it would take a massive change to offset our dietary imbalance today with omega 6 ratios out of wack.

Grass is fine but why not improve their diets… or eat manatees - researching this now. :smiley:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #14

My personal opinion is that the only cows that should be eating seaweed is a “sea cow”. Humans just love to make a problem (or perceived problem) and then create another problem to fix the first one. Just let the land animal eat land grown food like they evolved to.

However, I will add that if I had to choose between cows being fed corn or other cows, then I’d choose seaweed for them.

(Karim Wassef) #15

There’s always a point of balance between raw nature and human’s activity to change/improve it.

We could say that we should only eat wild game that we hunt- that’s the most natural. But raising animals on a farm is more effective when done right… we can take it to the extreme and lock them in pens and feed them corn… that’s the other side of off-balance…

I think seaweed supplemented feed is still in balance because the grass we have today is very deficient in nutrients compared to a century ago.

Feeding crushed oyster shells to chicken makes their eggs stronger. Is it normal to expect chickens to head to the shore, hunt oysters, crush their shells? No… is it a balanced improvement? I think so.

Just raising cattle is already a step in modifying nature to suit our needs. The question is where is the balancing point?

(John) #16

Mildly off-topic:

I make a nice snack food from sheets of nori brushed with sesame oil, salted, and quickly crisped up in a skillet. Kind of like extra thin tortilla chips. Tasty with salsa, guacamole, and sour cream (though they don’t hold up well to dipping, being rather thin), or just alone. Other than the light brushing of sesame oil, they are low calorie, and 1g carbs per 2 full sheets of it.

(DougH) #17

Where does this come from. I have never heard this, and I would assume that in most areas the pasture grass remains mostly unchanged.

(Karim Wassef) #18

it’s an extension on soil depletion. Unless trace minerals are actively returned to the soil, it depletes over time.

Here’s an example: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/soil-depletion-and-nutrition-loss/

and there’s some counterarguments: https://www.gardenmyths.com/soil-fertility-decreasing/

but fertilizers focus on the big components - Potassium, Phosphate, Nitrogen… micro-nutrients and trace minerals? Not so much.

To be frank, I expect the same happens in the oceans too - but the ocean is larger and substantially less tapped than the soil, so the algae should have more… but as always - someone has an opposing argument. This time it’s that excess CO2 accelerates algae growth outstripping the ability of algae to assimilate the micronutrients: https://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2017/09/13/food-nutrients-carbon-dioxide-000511

If all these things are true, then we end up with very fast growing plant/algae matter with CO2, N, P, K and fewer Magnesium, Iodine, Zinc, Selenium, Copper and maybe even Iron (but that’s another controversy to brew up later). :smiley:

I like the taste of algae and I think it’s nutritious (so do most people in Asia … ). If we an feed crushed oysters to chickens, we can feed algae to cows.

Algae is also a good source of omega 3, by the way… and it’s one of the green things that will not cause me digestive distress.

I see animals as processing filters for phytonutrients - grass fed cows, acorn fed pigs, worm fed chickens … and even mushrooms - they feed on the nasty plants and extract their goodness without the toxins…

Can you tell I see plants as the unfriendlies? :smiley: but I do want to tap into their phytonutrient goodness… just through fleshy things.

A lot of the sheep (and I belive some cows) are in coastal areas here wher they graze on a lot of seaweed. There actually considered a kinda “premium” quality meat. Apperently it makes for a really tasty product :grinning: