Scientific support for cold showers reducing body fat?

I’m cautiously excited about the recent posts here mentioning cold baths or showers reducing body fat or helping with fasting. Is there any science to support this?

I heard Joe Rogan one time talking about a chamber he sits in for a few minutes that is like 40-60 below zero. There is something to it, hopefully someone smarter than me will shed some light here.

40-60 below zero? I’m not that crazy! :crazy_face:

(David Cumming) #4

Not a research paper, but pretty interesting article cold

(Norma Laming) #5

I would love to be able to do this regularly! Ireland are going to a spa and being absolutely astonished at how addictive the cold plunge pool became.

I used to do sea swimming, many years ago.unfortunately I can’t do it now but I felt really good when I did.many years ago there was an elderly Indian lady in my block of flats and she was always telling me that I should finish my shower by turning it to cold.I’ve never really had the courage to do that but she was convinced it kept her healthy.

You know about Wim Hof?

This is fascinating.

I love this topic! I had one cryotherapy session a while ago with a Groupon deal, and it was interesting. (@MelTar it is extremely cold but you’re only in for about 3 minutes!). Afterwards I felt like someone had given me a stimulant - super awake and happy and energetic. I’m trying to incorporate cold showers into my daily routine and may move on to Wim Hof’s online course some time this year.
Cold exposure is supposed to be great for mood, reducing inflammation, upping brown fat, improving sleep…
@Rian’s link has an interview with a Rhonda Patrick, who has done a LOT of research on this and has a pdf that summarizes her findings.

And for those who are curious about this but to whom some of it sounds too good to be true, I think that it’s worth keeping in mind Ray Cronise’s hypothesis - (in the article that @David_Cumming linked to), which is that as humans we’re designed/have evolved to handle the extremes of temperature, and that there’s something not natural about staying at a nice comfy 72 degrees ALL the time.

(I’m sure that if your recent ancestry is from tropical areas, this is different - though then it brings us to heat exposure and heat tolerance, which is also an interesting topic…)

(Lauren) #10

I used to turn the shower to cold for the last few minutes years ago, b/c despite growing up in Georgia and Mexico I have zero heat tolerance, even in the shower. Then I moved to a drafty old house in South Dakota and gave it up b/c I couldn’t get warm again after (from mid Sept to April).

I’m back in Georgia, but I forgot about doing this. Thanks for the reminder!

(66c8264b7e284fcee72a) #11

Totally anecdotal, but when my husband and I were in a place with unusual cold running water, we did a 7-day stretch of freezing cold showers every night, and our energy levels and libido - usually good to begin with - went through the roof. Fun seven days :grin:

(Chris) #12

I don’t know how people can do this, I went down to the Pyrenees mountains in France a couple of weeks ago to clear out a house that we’re selling.

No gas or hot water so cold showers all week, my sister had been there 2 weeks before and told me on the phone not to worry as it’s invigorating and healthy and she ended up enjoying her showers!

Not for me, the only way I could do it was to put my head in first and leave it there for a while, splash water over the torso then take the plunge and move right in with a loud un-masculine scream :slight_smile:

It takes practice! When you are in a place with hot water, you can gradually work up to cold- end with a minute of lukewarm water until that starts to feel normal, then nudge the handle a bit more toward cold over time.
There’s a cold shower challenge that often crops up in productivity circles online since there’s something about going right into an uncomfortable situation and staying open, breathing through it (not fighting it or clenching against it) that can be an amazing start to the day.

(Sheri Knauer) #14

I was just thinking about this and there is no way I think I could do this. I love my warm (hot) showers and I don’t even go swimming half the time with my kids because the water is too cold. Baby steps, baby steps.

I flipped the water to cold for five minutes this morning before stepping out. We’ll see how this goes. Meanwhile, I’m sitting in my office where cold air pours out of the vent because it’s 91° on the first day of autumn.

(Deb) #16

Wasn’t there part of the Warrior diet that included sitting in a tub of ice cold water and claimed it (plus the IF) improved libido as well as the rest…

(Ben) #17

I am a big wim hof fan. Cold showers or plunge pools can help increase brown fat (which is good) because it “eats” the white fat.

Weird to find this post! I have been reading about brown fat and how cold activates what little we have left. Based on the research it is situated in neck and shoulders, so I order a freeze pack the other day from Ebay to wear when I am on the treadmill, and may be a couple of hours in the evening http://www.ebay.com/itm/Inerzen-Neck-and-Shoulder-Hot-and-Cold-Gel-Pad-Therapy-Wrap-for-Pain/202024553101?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

This one does the lower spines which is where more brown fat is situated http://www.ebay.com/itm/Inerzen-Back-and-Waist-Hot-and-Cold-Gel-Pad-Therapy-Wrap-for-Pain-Muscle/172829725037?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D47507%26meid%3Dfde8a192725049d498f723ec8675ca4a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D202024553101&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

(Norma Laming) #20

Let us know how you get on! I think it will be a pretty brave person that does this every day.probably best on the treadmill rather than just walking around the house.