Scientific studies about why to eat MORE protein, not less

(Bob M) #1

Here’s one:

This study was an RCT with 25 volunteers. They were split into three groups:

Intervention

After consuming a weight-stabilizing diet for 13 to 25 days, participants were randomized to diets containing 5% of energy from protein (low protein), 15% (normal protein), or 25% (high protein), which they were overfed during the last 8 weeks of their 10- to 12-week stay in the inpatient metabolic unit. Compared with energy intake during the weight stabilization period, the protein diets provided approximately 40% more energy intake, which corresponds to 954 kcal/d (95% CI, 884–1022 kcal/d).

These were non-exercisers, with BMIs between 19 and 30. While they all overate, the resting energy expenditure went UP ONLY for the higher protein groups, and was highest in the highest protein group. The lean body mass went DOWN for the lowest protein group, but went UP for both higher protein groups, and was highest for the highest protein group. By a lot: -0.70kg for low protein, +3.18kg (over 6 pounds!) for the highest protein group.

Also, note that they overate by 954 kcalories per day for 8 weeks (a theoretical gain of about 15 pounds or 7.x kg), but their actual weight gain was 3.16 to 6.51 kg, and the highest weight gain included more lean body mass and was for the highest protein intake.

Another one:

In this one, they used “resistance trained individuals”. They split them into two groups, high protein and control. High protein was really high, “4.4 grams of protein per kg body weight daily”. These were thin people. The high protein group ate over double the amount of protein and about 800 more calories as compared with the control. This was for 8 weeks. The result? Nothing. No differences in anything. So, the high protein people were able to eat way more calories (primarily of protein) and yet not gain any more weight. Again, so much for 3,500 calories = 1 pound of fat.

I have yet to find any RCT where higher protein was worse in some outcome than lower protein. I’ll keep looking, though.

Protein v hunger help
(Troy) #2

Thank You
Interesting!

“In contrast, protein contributed to the changes in energy expenditure and lean body mass, but not to the increase in body fat.”

Yes
I have to get another DEXA soon!
Please NO muscle loss😳

For me, I have increased my protein due to mostly carnivore
25%-30% now

By my :eyes: I do appear leaner and I have lost a couple of lbs. recently
Been in maintenance mode so not a goal of mine to loose weight
To each their own

I have noticed my mid day energy is lower ( nap time feeling ) though
Blah feeling…
Could be many things and not " more " protein?
Like meal time planning , life, social and emotional impact
I’m going to continue to monitor the above over the next couple weeks ( energy level )
And get a another DEXA soon + a possible RMR

I may adjust and increase fat and lower protein

Fun times😄

(Cristian Lopez) #3

I eat a gram per lb of total body weight (140-150 grams), any more kinda concerns me though. Ik its a thermogenic macro nutrient like you described…but for long term health? I know you mean a high fat or carb diet plus high protein so not rabbit starvation. But the methionine and ammonia build up after consuming more than twice your body weight of protein for long periods of time seems unethical for anyone seeking the best health.

Can someone give me a caveat to this issue or is there something I dont know?

Why would you target a gram per pound of body weight?

My starting weight was 650 pounds. My goal weight is 240 pounds. More stored body fat doesn’t mean I need nearly three times the protein. I actually set my proteins macro based on my goal weight (and goal body fat %).

That is a fairly standard recommendation for physically active people who aren’t looking to lose weight.

OK. But that’s an important qualification to make in a discussion like this…? No one is going to have that context from your message. :frowning:

I’ve typically seen it stated per pound of lean body mass, which would account for the difference in body fat %.

I’d agree with that. What @KidKeto is doing seems right for his current situation & your approach seems reasonable for yours but unless people give a bio with each post it can be hard to know.

It does seem to depend on who you’re talking/listening to. Some base it on lean mass, some believe that body weight is easier & then there is the whole kilogram vs pound thing which can further add to the confusion. The protein discussion is always a minefield :grimacing:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

First of all, Cristian, unless you have already reached your adult height and have stopped filling out—which doesn’t usually happen till around age 25—you need your protein.

Keep eating fat, as well—until your brain stops developing, you need plenty of saturated fat and cholesterol.

As for ammonia toxicity, I remember a post where Richard calculated that the danger point wasn’t until around 3.0 g/kg, so up to 2.0 is surely safe. Anyone who is told that they smell of ammonia should cut back on the protein, because their urea cycle is being overwhelmed.

Physically active adults, that is. Please remember that Cristian is still growing, so the rules are different for him.

(Troy) #9

200g of protein at 238lbs

Somewhat related
Just reading this :smile:

“here’s what a day in the life of the Irish powerhouse looks like – and how he hits his 200-240g protein target each day.”

(Cristian Lopez) #10

I do a gram per lb of body weight because any higher and I slowly start seeing my BUN creep up, it was till I reached a bun of 22 that I stopped eating 200 grams of protein a day. Oddly enough, My abs didnt start showing until I went down to my body weights worth of protein, Its a sweet spot, More than enough protein (considering the lean mass equation which should be followed as a minimum for active people.) but not too much that it was adding useless amino acids into my diet. You have too remember 140 grams or 1g/lb of body weight is still a lot in today’s standards, keeping it this way allows me to fufill my strategy in being in ketosis.

I eat 120-130 fat 140-150p 90-100 carb

(specifically hitting 50-60 grams of carbs being coming from fiber alone so more like 40 net carbs)

I do 18/6 fasting daily, so 40 grams of glucose is quickly burnt in my resting metabolism and fasted weight training. Doing this, I always wake up around 1.2-2 mmol/l ketone levels. I Feel great, Look sharp, see a rising trend in strength, and have amazing health markers!

Then for the benefit of the thread would you care to share what they are?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

As I have stated many times, young people in their pubertal growth spurt need a great deal of extra protein for muscle- and bone-building, plus plenty of fat, to build the brain and to provide fuel for growth. There is a reason why parents complain that their children eat them out of house and home during the growth spurt. Restricting protein, or even general caloric restriction, is contra-indicated. Eating to satisfy hunger is probably the best way to ensure getting enough.