Schmaltz

(Mediterranean Magic! Show me yer...) #1

Chicken fat is fucking golden magic.

Proper schmaltz is clarified, but ain’t no one got time for that! :wink: I’m a dirty girl.

Whenever you bake off some lovely juicy fatty chicken thighs, don’t throw away that pan magic! Let it cool a bit, then pour into a jar and refrigerate. If you’ll use in a couple days, just keep in the fridge. Otherwise, freeze it.

Spoon into soups, scramble your eggs in it, toss into crack slaw, heat and drizzle onto freshly steamed cauliflower, toss with aubergines and mushrooms and cook till tender. Yum!

(Bacon for the Win) #2

My grandmother cooked with schmaltz but my parents got away from it in the 70s. Now my father can’t stand the stuff and I cook with it all the time :smile:

(Roxanne) #3

I love drizzling it over cauliflower - espescially if I baked the chicken with a dusting of curry powder and salt! Didn’t know it had a name though!

(Jacquie) #4

My grandmother did, too! :grinning: And so did my mom until the low fat craze started but she always cooked with butter, never margarine. I love schmaltz for both the wonderful flavour and the great memories of large family gatherings that always centered around food and people.:joy: