Scared to start fasting - I'm always hungry!

fasting

(Bethany Greenwood) #21

I will keep you updated :smile:

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #22

Vegetables are poor sources for most micro nutrients because of their reduced bio availability.

Here is a good article on vegetables.
Are Vegetables Good for You?

A chart from that article that I think you may find useful.

the best thing against anaemia is red meat. Not veg,

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #24

Totally agree plant sources of most nutrients are inferior to animal sources.

But if you think you need (or just want) veggies:

(Bethany Greenwood) #25

So here are the 3 things I’ve realised by talking to you guys, the things that are going to change right now,

1. no more mayo (until I make it myself or find an alternative that has good oil in it)
  2. eat more food (I was calorie restricting unconsciously)
  3. eat more salt. Although I have been putting salt in everything, the way I devoured my avocado that was covered in salt this morning feels like a sign that my body is after more salt. Not loads more, but just a top up.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #26

Vegetable sources of iron aren’t very bioavailable. Especially with spinach there are anti nutrients in the spinach that bond with the iron making the majority of not absorbable. I recommend red meat, liver, oysters, and duck as solid heme iron sources for much better absorption.

As far as the heartburn and GERD I suffered for 25 years from it. I have s hiatal hernia so going KETO improved it but didn’t fix it right off. First I made the mistake of trying to quit cold turkey several times from Omeprazole. When I finally quit it was taking it every other day then every third day. If I had an attack I took a dose for a couple of days. The biggest thing was nighttime when I laid down. I always slept propped with three pillows. When I stopped eating after 4pm when I finished a big meal I would be full enough till sleep. I found that I slept much better with an empty stomach. I also discovered a sensitivity to cooked down tomatoes like marinara sauce. I’m okay if I eat it early most times but too close to bed can be a big problem for me. Bread was never an issue, carbs seem to calm my stomach so it was tough cutting them. I used to wake up in the middle of the night sleepless with cramps in my limbs and carbs fixed it so I could go back to sleep. Both problems are gone now, I sleep without heartburn 99 out of 100 nights, I take an Omeprazole if I need one then. I too wake up hungry fairly soon, I like eating early in the day unlike many others here. So I eat breakfast about 10 and dinner at 3-4pm now most days. I’m in maintenance so I’ve loosened up and actually eat when I want now often but my stomach feels healed and fixed mostly so eating closer to bed isn’t the issue it was a year ago in my early KETO days. I hope you find a working way of eating for yourself and have less issues as you go forward. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Bethany Greenwood) #27

I didn’t have time to look at this fully, are you a carnivore @OldDog ? because the article doesn’t seem to talk about Vit C, My understanding is its needed to support iron absorption, is that not true?
I am not at all against supplements, I take many, but I’m not comfortable with taking a supplement that I could easily get from food.

(Ron) #28

This will help with the vitamin C questions -

(Bethany Greenwood) #29

Thanks for that :slight_smile:

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #30

I’m definitely not strict carnivore, but I lean in that direction. I’ve pretty much lost my appetite for most plant sourced foods. Fruits seem too sweet to me, and most vegetables are too bitter. I eat a lot of avocados and olives, and may nibble on this or that from time to time. This has only been for a couple of years, so it may be a little to early to identify any long term effects.
At this point, at 71, I feel better than I have in the 40 years prior to adapting this way of eating…

Ron’s reference to Vit C is an excellent resource. It certainly answered any questions I had about Vit C.

(Bethany Greenwood) #31

Yeah, I find it really interesting because I can’t handle too much fibre, but I do still get cravings for broccoli if I don’t have it for a while. . . I wonder where I’ll go as I get more into ketosis. I still crave fruit too. But I’m still so new to it, who knows where I’ll end up!!

(Bunny) #32

I do not even think about it, I have so many things I’m interested in that 5 hours feels like 5 minutes and before I know it I’m fasted first two or three days sometimes, my mind is so into other things that I forget to eat, When I don’t think of it as doing a thing it becomes natural, second nature.

Be forewarned fasting is not something you just jump into and think your going to Ace it on the first round, that’s not how it works, it will be something that can last four or five weeks, almost like an adaption process and what I do is go for as long as I can then eat when I can’t stand it no more, then try again and again and again and again until I notice how far apart my eating windows become without feeling bad or crazy hungry.

When I first start out fasting it is not something that I’m trying to do, I’m training my mind and body to become second nature to it rather than sit their trying to starve myself to death.

When it no longer feels like a long arduous ordeal then you Aced it!

(Bethany Greenwood) #33

That makes so much sense thanks!! I know the fact my job is SUPER BORING doesn’t help as boredom eating is my life style :joy:

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #34

I think you should embrace your broccoli… With lots of butter if you like butter…
!/2 Lb Of cooked broccoli has almost 9g net carbs, but you should be able to work that into your menu on ’ Broccoli Day ’ …

Sign up at cronometer.com with a free acct, put all that stuff in as accurately as you can in regards to amounts and post back with how much you’re really eating. Most people are terrible at tracking what they’re eating and you may be eating way LESS than you think. Your macro ratios could also be way out of whack and causing you to always be hungry. Could also be your micronutrients are lacking. It’s not always simple but the answer is most likely in what that shows.

(Bethany Greenwood) #36

Yeah, I do actually have chronometer, it’s a great app!! but the amounts are all American AND not at all the serving sizes we use here which means I’m forever having to convert and work out fractions. . . it was so time consuming I couldn’t keep it up.

You can use whatever units you want. Even in the states our serving sizes show grams as well. Just gotta use the dropdown to change it. Things in your food list should stay once you change them. A LOT of my stuff is in grams because it’s more accurate depending on what it is.

(Bethany Greenwood) #38

Well I’ll take another look because I know tracking is super helpful. Thanks :smiley:

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #39

Ifod 14 is right… Check the serving size dropdown. You can even type in fractions. As in .5 oz…

(Bethany Greenwood) #40

Ah! I did not see the g option at the bottom, great! I cam weigh everything and just put in my own measurements!! Thanks :smiley: