Saturated Fat and Endotoxin levels

Hey folks! One of the things I keep coming up with in my research about keto is the idea that saturated fat increases endotoxin activity in the body. (As someone who is prone to inflammatory issues, I really want to limit the exposure to excess endotoxins). I have two issues with this - 1) I can’t seem to find any studies that support this and 2) I can’t seem to find any studies that disprove this either! One author is claiming that consuming fruit with high saturated fat meals will help to moderate the endotoxin impact, which seems somewhat counter-intuitive to maintaining the extremely low carb intake keto demands. I understand science, am comfortable reading journal articles (a little technical detail, if you will), am not a bandwagon jumper, and am happy to keep an open mind about all things. I’m no expert but I’d say 99% of the stuff I have learned about keto makes perfect sense to me, so I am hoping someone out there can offer a little clarity on this topic.
Thanks in advance, keep calm and keto on!

(Karen) #2

I enjoyed this article

The green veggies, are important!
K

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Not sure what this means. Can you elucidate? What toxins does the human body produce?

(Andrew) #4

I think most people find their CRP (inflammation marker) goes down on this diet. I don’t know what mystery “toxins” you are making though. It sounds like research from someone wanting to cleanse you or your liver.

Definitely sheds a little more light…Thanks for the link!

(jeff peters) #6

So animal fat is not good???

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #7

Endotoxin is not really something that I worry about. Saturated fat is quite good at keeping the tight junctions healthy and functioning.

(Karen) #8

I’m never sure of the balance. I eat butter (yum), bacon fat, coconut AND olive oil. :grin:

K

(Lauri Brouwer) #9

Here is one fairly current article (2016) that shows this effect: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5097840/
Within that article are links to many other scientific trials demonstrating that saturated fats increase circulating endotoxin/LPS. One such scientific trial that I read a few months ago demonstrated that this effect was especially pronounced when the source of saturated fat being eaten was coconut oil.

(Bob M) #10

My rule of thumb: any study where PUFAs are recommended is suspect. I started reading that, but it would take a bit of study, which is time I don’t have right now.