Sano's Continuous Glucose Monitor

(Sharon A Peters) #1

Found this very interesting. Wondering how the tech-types would weigh in on it. I like the idea that it would readily provide glucose data on trial foods, i.e.: which artificial sweeteners pop a glucose response and which do not, or what would be a personal reaction to a certain food, like carrots, various cheeses, etc. Would it work for that? Would it provide guidance-quality info? What’s the opinion out there?

Emphasis from the Gizmodo link added by me:

Those microstructures on the bottom of the patch sense interstitial fluid to calculate blood sugar.

This NCBI article seems optimistic for measuring glucose in the interstitial fluid (IF). The article does caution that the main problem has been in how the IF sample is taken and quote different methods and locations, so comparing the values between different methods and/or locations may not be reliable, but monitoring IF glucose using the same method in roughly the same location on the same person would probably be a reliable indicator for that person over time.

Sign me up! This device would remove the biggest obstacle to continuous glucose monitoring (cost), plus it doesn’t need daily calibration. I would LOVE to have an easy way to do tons of N=1 experiments. I can’t believe the idiots saying, “No one needs this”! Typical “experts” protecting the status quo for their own interests.

(Jacquie) #4

FUD headline, on a hit piece with quotes from all the “diabetes experts” (read those who are heavily invested in the status quo). I put scare quotes around the phrase “diabetes experts” to mock the style of the article, which puts scare quotes around all the positive claims for self-measurement.

Possibly significant, possibly not: they cite expertise from Cornell to support the Big Pharma approach. I don’t know what it is about Cornell, but my instinct is that it is no longer an independently functioning academic entity.

(Sharon A Peters) #5

I got it that it measures glucose from interstitial fluid rather than from
blood. Is this a problem with the type of fluid measured, or with the
technology and its reliability??

(Sharon A Peters) #6

Okay … and??? I just signed up for an early release sample … we’ll see
how they respond. I am very interested in this - as well as other - newer
technology. And, as I mentioned, if it can at this stage of development
provide guidance as to which foods, sweeteners, etc. I tolerate well and
which I don’t, I would find that most helpful.

Stay tuned.

However, at times of rapid change, mainly due to blood flow variability, levels from alternate sites differ considerably.

Diffusion of glucose from plasma to IF is in proportion to the concentration in each compartment.

I’m quoting different sections of the NCBI article, but the overall point is that there’s a good correlation in glucose from blood to IF, but the rate of diffusion means that IF measurements won’t register changes as quickly, so if blood glucose spikes suddenly or drops very quickly, it will just read as a gradual increase or gradual decline, so I think it would be dangerous for a diabetic to use it for determining insulin dose or anyone monitoring for hypoglycemia, etc.

That flattening of the response in the IF measurement wouldn’t deter me from using it to monitor my glucose levels over time, but if I were still an active T2DM, I would test postprandially at T60 and T120 if there were problems.

If the price were right, I would definitely want one!

Awesome, good luck!

(Sharon A Peters) #9

Agreed; however, I’ll admit I’m being a bit selfish here. I am a T2D. I would like to have one to test foods with. I have a regular BGM, so I do have that as a backup or confirmatory measure to test 1 and 2 hour postprandial or post sample food BG rise. I am intrigued by the technology, though I do expect to see it improve in sensitivity of measurement and durability as time goes on.

(Jock Coats) #10

Apologies for resurrecting a rather old thread, but I thought my experience might be useful.

I’ve been T2D for years, but only in March after an angry meeting with my doctor did I start taking it seriously when she started me finger testing.

I quickly discovered the Abbott Freestyle ISF monitor and bought some. I have had a few problems with variable sensors but the data has been absolutely fascinating in terms of discovering what things do what to my body glucose levels and when I feel like when I am at particular levels. So am really interested in anything new that comes out as the Abbott works out at about $200 a month so especially if it comes in cheaper it will be interesting.

Apple are also working on this technology and Tim Cook was seen wearing a prototype last month. They too are focussing on “Wellness” rather than “Medical Device” so they can get it to market without going through the FDA.

I actually got to these forums because for a while now I have been sort of half heartedly toying with the idea of trying a keto diet (I’ve been vegan too since the start of the year making it harder but not impossible), and have been consciously trying to keep my carb intake down to between 50-100g and sometimes I do wonder if I am in keto.

My Freestyle meter has more frequently shown me very low (<4mmol/l) and I did a web search to see if being keto or just low carbs might affect whether your interstitial fluid reacts less than your bloods, or whether my sensors were just still playing up!

When they talk about “lag” incidentally, it doesn’t so much flatten out as changes happen between 15 and 20 minutes after your blood changes. Sure, if you are suddenly very low and worry about hypo then they recommend you blood test before making decisions about glucose and/or insulin intake. But as a general tool to monitor what things you put into your body does to your glucose levels it has been invaluable.

Alas, the question that brought me here was not answered and is possibly an area for research - whether keto or low carb diets might make your ISF appear lower in glucose than it appears when blood testing. But I suspect it will have been quite rare for ketogenic dieters with T2D to have been using any of these products yet.

Best wishes,

Jock Coats

(Mark Lewis) #11

I recently had a two week continuous device installed. The endo gave me the option of a continuous device that would stay on perminately or a two week device. I opted for the two week one. At the time I did not feel good about wearing it and wanted to try the two week one first.

Honestly I did not enjoy the two week device but I think it had more to do with the placement then the device. They put it on the back of my arm toward my torso. It rubbed and pinched a little on my side. It was not painful but was annoying when I walked and moved around.

I am still on the fence for the long term on but it would be nice for troubleshooting foods. I am not sure of the brand of the long term one, I will have to ask next time I go in.

(Felix) #12

New article on Sano device, positive commentary on how useful it could be.
Business Insider

(Suzanne Leigh) #13

Any non-diabetics in this thread using CGM to make food choices? I want one for my own data, but seems challenging for a non-diabetic (non-Silicon Valley connected) to get one in the States. Makes no sense for laws to separate us from our own health markers. Except of course dollars and cents.