Salt!

(Katie) #1

I experimented with Himalayan salt intake. Early on I had lots of trouble with constipation and muscle spasms. By adding salt and magnesium to my diet (supplements) I solve both. But…

Over the course of the last 3-4 months I have noticed serious bags under my eyes. I talked with a dermatologist about it…and the salt intake is the likely culprit. So, when I reduce the salt to less than 1/8 tsp…the problems come back…but my bags get better.

Help. Anyone know a solution to this quandary?

(Katie) #2

PS. The creams do not work…I must have about $300 in worthless creams!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

Would you rather have bags under your eyes or muscle spasms and constipation?

I’m being somewhat facetious, of course. But, it may eventually come down to that. I recommend that you try adjusting your salt/electrolyte first. It’s probably water retention and increasing salt helps retain water a bit, so decreasing it may lessen that. Or maybe it’s genetics and just part of your aging process. I have bags under my eyes (I’m 74 so I guess that’s to be expected to some degree). I don’t like it, but then there are lots of other age-related changes I don’t like and can’t do much about. I had the eye bags long before keto.

I also had severe and persistent night cramps in both my feet, ankles and legs right up to my crotch. I’ve resolved the cramps mostly, but not entirely, by using a simple salt mix every day. I call this mix my electrolytes: Edmonds Real Salt, French’s No Salt and ordinary epsom salt. You could do something similar to manage your spasms and constipation and over time figure out a mix that resolves those issues without exacerbating the eye bags. I also mix Himalayan salt in water and drink that during the day. I’ve found that although both potassium and magnesium are necessary, a lot more sodium helps the most.

PS: It might also be a collagen issue. You may find that increasing protein helps. As we age, collagen in the skin tends to decrease and those eye bags are skin that isn’t elastic enough to stay up under a little water pressure.

1/8th tsp is a completely ignoreable amount, you SURE that’s what’s doing it? Try making sure it’s in balance with potassium?

(Katie) #5

Sorry, I wasn’t clear… I was taking 1/2 tsp of salt along with the usual salt in food during the day… and over 5-6 months this problem developed with my eyes.

After messing around with various combinations…at 1/8 all the leg cramps and constipation came back. I didn’t keep that level but have gone back to 1/2 a day added.

I am asking if anyone has found a solution that works for bags under eyes. It is totally a new development, and dermatologist blames the salt content I take daily.

(Katie) #6

I used bone broth for all the recipes that call for water. I also take a supplement with vitamin C every day.

The collagen has made a huge difference with all my joints. And my skin is really nice, I get compliments on my skin all the time.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #7

Same. My refuel after I lift has been strictly bone broth for like 3 months now, and I add hydro’d peptides in there as well, and I get the same compliments, and my coworkers love to come touch my hair, which is weird for me because #notouchy but I’m learning to not shrink back when being pet. :rofl:

(Katie) #9

No offense many, but Dr. Berg functions under a court order consent decree for committing fraud.

I wouldn’t spend one minute of my time supporting him…and watching his videos is support…utube pays by minutes of content watched.

(Katie) #10

Just to be clear…he defrauded his patients.