Salt/sodium requirements?

(Erin Macfarland ) #1

I just read about a man who does ZC that he considers salt a toxic" chemical and that our bodies excrete sodium only when there’s excess. He claims our sodium needs are met with an ounce of meat. Wow am I confused!! Most low/no carbers advocate for several GRAMS per day. Plus, salt=delicious

(Derek I. Batting) #2

Is it possible this man has no idea how the body actually works?

(Bart) #3

I think this is just another example of how opinions are all over the board and how important it is to do as much research as possible and perform experimentation to figure out exactly what YOUR body needs. From all the reading, listening to many, many podcasts and watching lectures on you tube believe this guy is wrong, but maybe it works for him. I think maybe he came to this conclusion because if you are falling a normal SAD diet you probably get enough salt from the the food you eat and added salt is not necessary. The whole 1 ounce of meat thing is ridiculous.

I can tell you that during times I am not exercising regularly I feel perfectly fine with the salt I get from the meals I eat, but if I am exercising regularly I need to supplement sodium in my diet or I will experience some unpleasant side effects, mainly cramping. I do take a 400mg magnesium supplement daily. I have been taking the magnesium for so long I am unsure how my body would feel if I cut it out along with no sodium supplementation.

I know it was Dr. Stephen Phinney (I believe it is at least one of these videos) where he talks about a large-scale study of sodium showing that low levels, ie. those recommended in 2016 around 2,500 mg, are actually associated with higher all-cause mortality and the lowest levels of mortality are at about double the currently recommended levels, but the risk at 8,000 mg is still lower than 2,500 mg.

Dr. Stephen Phinney - ‘Recent Developments in LCHF and Nutritional Ketosis’ (Part 1)

Dr. Stephen Phinney - ‘Recent Developments in LCHF and Nutritional Ketosis’ (Part 2)

(Guardian of the bacon) #5

@Emacfarland please quit reading bad information, you’re giving yourself an anxiety attack.

Does this sound like enough sodium?

8 oz Ribeye

Saved a chart from him. [Phinney]…

(Erin Macfarland ) #7

Is this specific to low carb?

(Erin Macfarland ) #8

Hahahah!! I need help getting out of my head sometimes! :grinning:

(Erin Macfarland ) #9

Here ya go: http://zerocarbpath.blogspot.com/2006/05/iii-basics.html?m=1

(Guardian of the bacon) #10

I didn’t see him offering much science to back his claims.

40 years of no salt…he must not be very active. I’d cramp up on day 1 and I’m sedentary by most standards.

Salt was a factor in his Grandfathers premature kidney failure at 91?

(Erin Macfarland ) #11

That’s what I thought!

The chart from the study that Dr. Phinney cites says, “few if any of this population were in nutritional ketosis which would limit the upside risk of sodium intake while increasing the downside risks” which basically means that low carb would be more likely to experience problems at higher levels and less likely to experience problems at higher levels, essentially shifting the graph to the right for low carb - low carb would need even more sodium than the population tested in the study.

Urinary Sodium and Potassium Excretion, Mortality, and Cardiovascular Events

(Erin Macfarland ) #13

Thanks!

(Alex Dipego) #14

Anecdotal but I went sub 500mg of sodium before and it was painful.

(Christopher John Howson) #15

Again, anecdotal here…

I used to get enough electrolytes just through food however; since excercise intensity increased, I’ve noticed my caloric requirement has gone up as well as intake of lost electrolytes.

Replenishment, for me, at his moment in time is important.
But that might change as my routine evolves? Who knows, you have to try these things for yourself.

Not sure about this guy who you are reading?
I’d expect him to be a walking cramp!
And perhaps not be up on the science?

(Erin Macfarland ) #16

OMG I love salt WAY too much to ever try going gag low!

(Alex Dipego) #17

Oh it sucked! It was stupid. Potassium and Sodium are necessities but I was blinded to basic chem and listened to bro science.

(Tom Seest) #18

I have done limited research on the topic, although it peaks my interest now as my Atrial Fribrillation may be caused by an electrolyte imbalance.

With that said, I’ve consumed an abnormally high amount of salt all my life, even when I’m at my heaviest. My personal friend / doctor, who also consumed the high amounts, told me that he really believed that it was the only reason I had better than average blood work (given my weight), and that he thought that was why I never developed full blown Type 2.

But, I have no evidence for this at all.

(Dean) #19

I am going to start treating salt as a macronutrient, as i heard said in that Phinney video. I just can’t ignore salt and think i’m getting it in my food when intermittent fast all week. I can’t believe how many times i need to hear things before they sink in…lol… like Phinney said in that video, pretty much a sure thing to get keto flu if salt is below 2000mg per day.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #20

*See “The Salt Fix”

There’s your evidence. Wow.