Salt/Sodium intake!

newbies
science
food

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #1

Hi everybody,

I have a burning question with regards to how everyone keeps their salt intake up during the day…unfortunately i don’t have a lot of time to make myself bouillon or broth so I’ve been taking a little glass of water with half a teaspoon of salt in the morning but I’d like to hear others opinions. Am I getting in enough? I salt my foods like mad now too with pink salt…

I’ve got my potassium and magnesium figured out (I wait until I’ve broken my fast to take both of these or I feel sick) but with sodium I’m wondering if it should be on a ‘how I feel’ basis or take it at the same time everyday? What does everyone else do?

Also, should I be concerned about water retention?

(Brennan) #2

Low carb diet should eliminate the concern for water retention.

I keep a small container of salt in my desk at work and add it to my water bottle if I feel I need something more than water at time. I’ll also put some into my black coffee when doing water fasts (salted coffee is so good!). I also drink keter-aid twice a day (fasting or not) and salt my food well when eating.

(bulkbiker) #3

I put it in my coffee

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #4

How much do you put in your coffee?

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #5

Thank you! Do you do this once a day?

(bulkbiker) #6

No I put a pinch, between thumb and forefinger, in every mug… 4-5 mugs per day .

(Brennan) #7

I don’t measure, I’d guess 1/8-1/4 tsp per mug?

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #8

Brilliant thanks for this :blush:

(Chris) #9

Silliness, just salt your food. Supplement it only if fasting but salting your food to taste is more than enough.

This is a great example of why people flag so instead of simply dealing with the flag I thought I would highlight how to avoid getting your comment flagged. A simple re-wording would make this comment part of the discussion rather than something that annoys/upsets people who then flag it. I would suggest something like this…

I don’t agree that supplementing with salt is necessary (unless fasting) and think that salting your food to taste is sufficient. I have found no need to supplement.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and there are many valid arguments to any discussion and topic. We are not all the same and what works perfectly for you may not for me and vice versa. To say something is “silliness” is condescending and is more than likely to wind people up. Please think about the impact your words will have before posting them. I apologise for using your comment as an example @Dread1840. I chose it because it is only mildly inflammatory but does illustrate a typical flag we deal with regularly. I am going to dismiss the flag but this will show the process to the flagger/flaggee and anyone else who is interested. I totally made those flag terms up and I don’t think they are grammatically correct :smiley:

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #11

It’s not really silliness - I don’t want to have to over salt my food…I want my food to taste like food, not salt.
Besides I’ve tried getting by on just salting my foods and it’s not been enough for me…

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #12

Thank you for this @Daisy :heart:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #13

I don’t like heavily salted tasting foods but I do sneak iodized salt into my coffee in the morning (cuts the bitterness and doesn’t taste like anything to me) and I don’t always use pink salt, I sometimes just stick with old fashioned iodized salt.

Don’t forget about things like ketoaid. You could maybe make something up that you just need to add water to if you feel like you need it. Emergency salted drink, or something.

Edit: I just saw someone else told you this already. Sorry.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #14

Your advice is sound to me. I salt my food liberally. If I have a headache rarely I take salt before I go for the Tylenol now. I haven’t had to take salt supplements or the need since my first week. I also ferment veggies with salt so eat those daily as well. Sometimes more than a cup. When I do just take straight salt I grab the kitchen scale, weight out 3 g. of Himalayan Pink Rock Salt and wash it down with a big glass of water. Drinking it dissolved, YECH🤮

(Matthew) #15

This is ludicrous…This SJW avoiding a flag nonsense… He said ‘silliness’ which I agree with and it was even a polite way of putting it. It annoys, upsets people? Is that a crime? You want a safe place?
If you are going to be yourself and think and I mean really think you are going to offend people. So we have to stop thinking now? This radical leftist nonsense has to stop!!! It’s trying to control free speech. God help humanity.

A little gloat-ish, isnt it?

(Running from stupidity) #17

Seriously? That got flagged? And yet we had days and days of crap from CICO Bill that was deemed fine.

C’mon people.

That’s a smidge OTT :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

(Running from stupidity) #19

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(Carl Keller) #20

A smidge of salt in the coffee, decent amounts on the food I eat, Frank’s Red Hot when I can or a hot mug of bone broth with added salt is usually how I roll. I do eat a fair amount of pork but not every day.

Bone broth is not real expensive if you don’t have time to make it and it doesn’t go bad fast. I buy 32 oz and it’s about 8 servings for me @ $3.99. A mug of it in the microwave with some salt is like hot cocoa to a carnivore.