Salt ON or UNDER tongue - it doesn't matter, right?

fasting
electrolyte
salt
extendedfast
electrolytes

(Whitney) #1

Hi everyone,

My question is about supplementing with salt on an extended fast. Does it actually matter where you put it?

I am on Day 1 of my first water only plus Himalayan pink salt fast. I may go back to bone broth on Day 2 or Day 3, depending on how I feel. I’m aiming to fast past my previous best of 80 hours, tentatively hoping for 4-5 days total. I’ve heard Megan Ramos on podcasts like Fasting Talk mention putting salt UNDER the tongue and talking about how well it is absorbed that way (compared to drinking it in water or bone broth). That seems odd to me because I always just lick my finger, press it into the salt, then suck the salt off my finger, so it goes on the TOP of my tongue.

Does it actually matter? Is there something magical :rofl: about placing the salt in a specific location relative to the tongue?

Thanks!

(Chris) #2

Doesn’t matter. Place it where you can tolerate it.

(KCKO, KCFO) #3

Personal preference, I’ve done it both ways, didn’t make a difference in my fasting effort.

I love salt so I do the melt under the tongue mostly because I get enjoy the whole salt experience longer, I love salty things, but salt in water is not something I would choice to do often, isn’t as pleasant an experience for me.

(Bob M) #4

When I was listening to a podcast of the KetoHacking MD, he said salt was absorbed faster if you put it under your tongue. He said it did not have to go through the “normal system”.

However, I personally find if I try to do this, I get most of the salt on top of my tongue anyway.

(Troy) #5

Not sure
I do both though
And on the side. Just Like a skoal bandit tobacco poach WAY back in the day🙂