Salt needs water, which can come from fat

I have been blown away by how much sodium I need since starting this Way Of Eating. Some days 7g feels right and other days 5 g feels right. I have always been between there with this WOE (and lower before that).

I have also noticed that I don’t drink as much water as I had done prior to adopting this WOE. I wondered about that.

I do seem to drink less and have more salt on some days, which generally seem to coincide with weight loss. I am eating a low amount today (10c, 75p and 180f) and expect to lose a couple pounds based on eating about double that the last few days (and not gaining weight). I notice that I am not drinking much (to thirst, always, though) and will lose water weight for sure today.

Although from the New York Times, the second half of this article is interesting in that it explains that water comes from fat oxidation (when we take in a lot of salt and would expect to drink more). I also thought that is funny that the low sodium days in the Russian study are at 6g.

(James storie) #2

Very interesting. I’ve noticed the same in myself. I used to drink tons of water, now just when I’m actually thirsty. Which if I’m not physically active, isn’t that often. Salt is definitely a love of mine! I can fix a meal that I think is perfectly seasoned and someone will claim it’s too salty! Oh well, more for me!

N=1 … time to greatly increase the sodium intake without drinking much water to see if I think that it encourages fat loss.