Salim Yusuf PURE Study

(mcebis) #1

Apologies if this is already posted.

Here is a science message from the President of the World Heart Federation Dr Salim Yusuf.

(Nicole) #2

Really interesting video.

(Crow T. Robot) #3

A lot of great quotes in that video. Hopefully, having a prominent cardiologist publicly say animal fat is actually protective and we should “eat the burger and throw away the bun” will get some attention in the medical community. We’ve had Aseem Malhotra in Britain making a lot of noise, and now Dr. Yusuf, maybe more cardiologists are waiting in the wings.

Nice that he gave a shoutout to Nina Teicholz, who really deserves a ton of credit for not only blowing the lid off the fat-phobic guidelines, but for also standing firm under intense criticism from the medical/research establishment afterwards.

The Editor-in-Chief of the BMJ tweeted out this video earlier today calling it “hugely important”. Wow!

(Glenn Graham) #4

The original is now private
https://youtu.be/0y3K3wkCHgM

Updated Got the info from
https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2017/03/04/dr-salim-yusuf-and-the-pure-study/

(Keto in Katy) #5

This should move the needle a little further in the right direction.

(Barbara Greenwood) #6

Just watched it - excellent!! Two points:-

1. He said fat was protective within normal limits - it would be interesting to see what he considers normally limits, given that most of us are consuming 70% fat and above

2. Evidence was that vegetables are neutral - so eat them as much or as little as you want depending on preference, and the fact that, as he put it - you have to eat something. But fruits and legumes are protective. That’s very interesting from a keto POV. I generally limit fruit to one helping per day and nix legumes - probably because my introduction to keto was via Tim Noakes’s Banting book, or rather a fb group which promotes that diet. And they jump on you if you eat anything that’s not on the Green List (which legumes are not)

(David) #7

I’m half way through transcribing this as it’s so short, and I think there are some key phrases that should be searchable on here.

Personally, as a (former) fan of milk, I’m glad he pointed out that there was barely any difference between skimmed, semi-skimmed and whole milk.

(mcebis) #8

A couple in return.

1. looking at his fruit graph, 1 serve a week as good as up to 3 serves a day. At one serve a week the dietitians scream “SCURVY!”
  2. Legumes are probably good because when you eat them, the are high protein and have resistant starch in them, so they are probably lowering the total carb level in those people that eat them. e.g., displacing rice.
  3. I counted 12 major food points, and 10 were 180 degrees from dietitians advice. One was partial agreement (olive oil but dietitians say teaspoons of it only), and legumes were the only agreed point.

I really liked this video. I hope we get to read the actual paper though because I believe this was done with a food questionnaire. I found the legume thing most interesting as I abstain from legumes because of keto. Also the fact that sodium influences BP and that even if yours is high you still want about 5g/day.

(Crow T. Robot) #10

I noticed that the usual suspects are circling the wagons regarding this video, i.e. the vegan docs and Ornish acolytes like David Katz and Joel Khan – the latter on social media and the former in the HuffPo, where he is a contributor. I would link to it, but he doesn’t deserve the hits and the complete lack of evidence in his arguments will just upset you ;).

(Stickin' with mammoth) #11

Unless, of course, you’re lactose intolerant or keto. Whole milk has more fat and triggers less of a reaction in the dairy sensitive.

(David) #12

Interesting.

(Barbara Greenwood) #13

I noticed that the difference in carbs between full fat and semi-skimmed milk is only 0.1g per 100ml - and even on a very thirsty day I wouldnt use more than about 200ml (in tea), and usually less.

Of course the fat in full fat means it’s better for me (fat-soluble vitamins etc). But at least it made me freak out a bit less about all the cups of tea I drink away from home, since most people these days use SS.

(Keto in Katy) #14

I wondered about this as well. Aren’t the FFQs notoriously unreliable?

(Crow T. Robot) #15

Well, sure, it’s crap nutritional epidemiology, but it’s our crap nutritional epidemiology! lol

(mcebis) #16

Filling in this point. If epidemiology is good enough to prove sat fat causes heart disease it is good enough to disprove it! Same for everything else in here.

(Cathy) #17

Dr. Micheal Eades has an article out on the PURE study and it includes a link to the video.

(Crow T. Robot) #18

PURE study now released, although it’s behind a paywall.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)32252-3/abstract

(ianrobo) #19

however this has been widely reported on and seems good, but like all studies, this is not science as I like it but correlations and not causations.

(ianrobo) #20

and just as I post this Robert Lustig just tweeted

Robert Lustig MD @RobertLustigMD
25s
PURE study underscores re-thinking the low-fat hypothesis.

which confirms to me as I discussed with others before that he is moving towards a natural position of LCHF if not quite Keto