Safe sweeteners

(Eve) #1

I am going to make some fat bombs and need an appropriate sweetener. I don’t tend to use them but need something for these bombs. I have some allulose sweetener which l would like to use but l can’t figure out whether it is actually zero carb or not. Any suggestions?

(Ohio ) #2

Don’t use erythritol. That’s been put on the poison shelf in the past 24 hours.

(Eve) #3

Thanks for the info. Any ideas on the allulose?

Why do you need the Fat Bombs to be sweet? At some level, I think that it contradicts our Keto world. I have noticed that when I consume a sweet product, I tend to want to eat more of them. I suspect there are many mechanisms in the body at play here. So I just avoid them altogether.

(Robin) #5

My experience: I have stevia drops in my coffee/fat bombs, 3-4 cups per day. They don’t make me crave other sweets or non-keto foods at all.

Great. I am glad to hear that. I think that at some level it is very good for you mentally to satisfy the sweet. If not, this deprivation of sweetness can resulted in the over-consumption (chocolate chip cookies in my case.) I now get my sweet fix from blueberries, almost everyday.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

The other side of the coin is that, for some people, a sweet taste, even if it’s not from sugar, can perpetuate the cravings for sweets.

I recall an old alcoholic, sober for a long time, who when asked about non-alcoholic beer, replied, “Non-alcoholic beer is for non-alcoholics!”

Brilliant.

(Joey) #9

@0cac544b99285298bde6 I’m a (100% pure extract) stevia fan, too, but you asked about allulose, right?

… if I had it on hand already, I’d use it. It’s not going to hurt you.

Then I’d do more research about the various alternatives when it comes to buying more artificial sweeteners. Bon appetit!

(Eve) #10

That makes sense, thanks. Even before keto l never ate much sweet stuff, mainly just a piece of very dark chocolate every now and again, other than if there was a.special occasion , and since starting keto l have stopped the chocolate. I thought it would be fun though to try some cocoa powder fat bombs to have once in a while! Who knows,.they may be foul :rofl:

(Joey) #11

I’ve enjoyed them in the past … I take coconut oil in a small saucepan, melt it down (doesn’t take much heat at all), then add loads of 100% unsweetened cacao powder, and a little squirt of pure organic stevia plant extract (read label - many offerings have other stuff in them).

Mix it all up really well, then gently pour into shapes - sometimes use tiny paper mini-muffin cups, or have poured into a clean watercolor plastic paint pallete (with round indentation wells).

Pop in the fridge. Shortly they harden and pop out for small treats - virtually carb free.

I’ve also sprinkled almond slivers into the little shapes before they harden. Sometimes you feel like a nut.

They keep nicely in the fridge for a long time, so one or two with afternoon decaf - or red wine, obviously only for those who have no issues with alcohol.

(Eve) #12

Lovely :ok_hand: . I have made some with butter, coconut oil, cream cheese , cocoa.powder and a bit of allulose and they actually taste very nice - verruca like a.piwce of very dark chocolate. Thanks for the reply!

(Eve) #13

…very like …