S t a l l

(mole person) #41

I just counted. I had 450 calories in dairy yesterday, none of which I was hungry when I consumed it.

(Bunny) #42

What most people do not know or want to accept (because they donā€™t know this) is that all these macro and calorie counting apps or other methods were originally designed to help people recognize portion size, thatā€™s why it quits working, because your thinking exact numbers will some how matter, failing to realize the human body does not work like that!

Some reasons that may be causing the stall plateaus:

1. Exercising too much? (adrenaline is chronically raising cortisol levels and they are dropping fast enough so NO body fat gets burned i.e. your burning dietary fat) Very very brief HIIT is what burns the body fat? Try adding some Type 2 resistant starch (raw green banana or raw sweet potato cut into sticks; just eat a couple) before you work out (HIIT), it will help you burn body faster and take the stress off your HPA axis as mentioned below!

1. Estrogen and progesterone ratios are off? (may need more estradiol from an external source temporarily to bring the progesterone up naturally because other types of stored estrogen in the fat cells are now being released and looping back to hold onto the body fat) DIM Support?

1. Thyroid is not working properly? (not carbing up and slowly carbing down periodically until the thyroid can catch up with lower carb intake e.g. iodine deficiency? More iodine in the diet is a must with DIM support)

How to Properly Test Thyroid Function with Labs

1. HPA axis is still in a negative feedback loop while your body is adapting to a ketogenic diet so it can burn more ketones and FFAā€™s for energy along with some glucose?

1. Or it could be something else?

I had constipation from dairy! I went to the bathroom only a few times a week! Now I go daily and it doesnā€™t matter if I forget to take my magnesium!

Iā€™m telling you dairy is so bad for our guts! Maybe try what I did. Once a week give yourself a dairy meal. Like cream in your coffee and cheese or whatever but the rest of the week stay strong! Iā€™m telling you itā€™s the only thing that made me go to the bathroom regularly! Iā€™ve been eating dairy my whole life and it wasnā€™t until recently that Iā€™m normal in that dept!

I also wanted to share with you that Iā€™ve been at a stall for 3 weeks! Iā€™m considering trying OMAD because even though it will be really difficult for me, I canā€™t lose these last 20 lbs no matter what I do. My calories, macros, exercise are all on point! Fasting 16:8 and yet nothing budges on the scale! Nada! 3 weeks of this and no results has made me pretty upset. Anyhow Iā€™ll let you know if and when I do OMAD since nothing else seems to be working!

This HPA axis thingā€¦could this take 6-8 months to fix?!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #45

A further question to add to the others: Is it weight youā€™re not losing, or fat? There is a difference. If the scale stays the same but your clothes feel looser, then you are losing fat but gaining muscle or bone density, which are good things. And a related question to ponder: would you rather lose 20 pounds but still look the same, or look as though you lost 20 pounds while staying the same weight?

I need to lose 20 lbs to be at my ideal weight so itā€™s for my health. I havenā€™t been testing my body fat but Iā€™ve been wearing the same jeans for the past month and not much change! I gave up dairy and itā€™s been a month wo it and only lost a few lbs. it really helped with my skin and digestive issues but not much with weight!

I know that if I can get down another size that I will have made progress and if the scale only goes down 5-10 pounds vs 20 thatā€™s fine but I really want to lose another 20 lbs and 2 sizes ideally.

I lost 16 lbs in first 3 weeks. Iā€™ve lost only 3 lbs each month after. This is incredibly slow. I am a pretty active person. I donā€™t overexercise but I walk daily for 60-75 mins and I do strength for 45 mins twice a week so something should give. I didnā€™t exercise at all until my first stall after the 16 lbs. but I have slowllllly lost weight since. Iā€™m kinda hitting a brick wall and feel defeated knowing that all Iā€™m doing isnā€™t really showing results.

Itā€™s either hormonal or I need to do OMAD.

Oops forgot to tag you above :blush:

(Bunny) #48

Not saying this is what the problem really is (could be part of it; one of many factors as pointed out in the previous post) but there is a test below using a flashlight that might give you an indication if adrenal function (failure) is blocking weight loss or preventing you from burning body fat?

Usually takes 27 weeks or 6 months to become fully fat adapted (that is why people usually quit doing keto because they donā€™t allow for the adaption process to take place and thatā€™s really when everything returns to ā€œnormalā€ metabolically?).

This is what a ā€œnormalā€ to ā€œhighā€ and ā€œlowā€ cortisol circadian rhythm supposedly looks like (I also believe type 2 resistant starch combats that chronically elevated long duration in a high cortisol spike):

High Cortisol

Most people who are under chronic stress will have elevated cortisol levels. This is because the body is trying to ramp up its ability to deal with an excess demand. While high cortisol levels are not a problem in of themselves, chronically elevated cortisol can be.

One of the big problems with chronic cortisol elevation is that we often see blood sugar imbalances. These are one of the most insidious robbers of our health. Blood sugar imbalance increases inflammation which puts more stress on the adrenals and begins a vicious cycle as they continue to make each other worse.

If continued long enough, this chronic elevation of cortisol can also throw off sex hormone balance and contribute to weight gain, brain fog, low energy, and an overall lowered vitality.

Chronically elevated cortisol (sometimes diagnosed as Cushingā€™s Disease/Syndrome) is often the beginning of adrenal dysfunction if nothing is done to restore balance (1). .ā€¦More

Related:

[1] How To Test Adrenal Function ā€œā€¦3. Pupillary Constriction Test:

This test was first described in 1924 by Dr. Arroyo. It measures the contraction of the iris in response to dark light exposure. The hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis helps to control the contraction of the iris.

When someone is dealing with adrenal fatigue, they are unable to maintain the contraction for a normal length of time. Here is how you do the test.

Set up the Room: Sit in front of a mirror in a dimly lit room.

Use a Flashlight: Take a flashlight and shine it into your eye from the side of your face (45 degree angle). When this happens, your eyes will naturally constrict and the diameter will reduce in size.

Here are the possible results:

Pupillary Response: _____

Possible Finding:

1. Stays constricted for 20+ seconds Healthy HPA Axis
  1. Fasciculates between 10-20 seconds Mild HPA Axis disruption
  1. Fasciculates between 5-10 seconds HPA Axis Fatigue
  1. Immediate pulsation and dilation HPA Axis Exhaustion/Failure (see chart above) ā€¦More

[2] ā€œā€¦Epinephrine, also known as adrenaline, travels through your blood to the fat tissues, signaling them to break down fats and release them into your blood. Of course, releasing fatty acids into your blood does not help you lose fat unless you are burning more calories than you consume through your diet . ā€¦More

[3] ā€œā€¦Itā€™s important to understand is that your HPA axis operates on feedback loops. A feedback loop occurs when the output of a system in your body somehow loops back to that system as input, and influences its functioning. A positive feedback loop would increase that systemā€™s output, and a negative feedback loop would decrease it. ā€¦ā€ ā€¦More

(traci simpson) #49

Iā€™ve lifted weights for the majority of my life and since 2014, I have been around 150-157 size 8. This picture was in 2017. Iā€™m about 8 pounds heavier today so getting back or under 155, 157 is my main goal.

(Scott) #50

I have been in a bit of a stall and even gained a bit since I over ate during the holiday. I have decided to significantly increase my running and add strength training. I am on week two and am curious how my weight will respond to the added muscle mass when combined with a higher activity level. Even if my weight is static I will be happy if my belly shrinks. The research continuesā€¦

(traci simpson) #51

I feel a certain kind of way with regards to physical activity. A lot of folks say donā€™t work out, however, Iā€™m a enthusiast of working out on a regular basis if this is what your body is used to.

To be honest, Iā€™m trying an experiment. Iā€™m going to try walking 40-60 mins a day for 5 days and adding another workout of 40 mins of strength training 3-4 times a week. Going to up my exercise and see if I notice a big difference in weight and body composition!

In the past I used to workout 2 hours or more a day so maybe thatā€™s what my body is used to. I used to be very athletic and thatā€™s what I want to be again for outdoor hiking purposes etc.

Maybe this extra stength training is what my metabolism needs. Iā€™m not sure what the issue is. I would rather work out twice a day than do OMAD. I prefer eating twice a day tbh and donā€™t want to limit calories too much with my sluggish metabolism!

Has anyone tried varying workouts and adding more strength and seen quicker results?

Losing weight slowly (3 lbs./month) ā‰  a stall. Itā€™s just slow. Obviously slower than you want, but still not a stall.

No one is saying donā€™t work out. Theyā€™re saying if you donā€™t already work out, not to start an exercise program until youā€™re a month or so on keto. Theyā€™re saying when you do work out, donā€™t do tons of cardio and suggesting moderate cardio (walking, etc.) and strength training.

And when theyā€™re saying the above, theyā€™re linking to detailed explanations from some very fit, athletic people like Ted Naiman and Mark Sisson, so itā€™s not about not being very fit and athletic. People have also suggested slow burn work outs (like Body by Science) which reduce the number and duration of strength workouts for amazing results.

(Scott) #54

But cardio (running) is what I crave. I will need to just break the rules and see what happens. Keto rebel yeehaw!

(traci simpson) #55

Iā€™m with you Scott

(traci simpson) #56

Right, which is what I said: Iā€™m an enthusiast of working out on a regular basis IF THIS IS WHAT YOUR BODY IS USED TO. If you donā€™t or have never worked out, then I agree that light exercise like walking or swimming is best getting started, however, that is best when getting started in exercise. I canā€™t say that itā€™s best when first starting on KETO because that doesnā€™t fit my lifestyle.

Iā€™ve been stalled for 3 weeks. No movement in the scale aside for half a pound or a lb.

Itā€™s pretty irritating. Im Thinking of OMAD 2-3 times a week. And on days I donā€™t OMAD doing double workouts. Maybe switching things up will help my body and then being less strict on weekends and letting my body rest for two days.

Aggravating since Iā€™m only in my thirties that my metabolism is so messed up!

(traci simpson) #58

Try switching up exercise. Do something that you havenā€™t done before or donā€™t do on a regular basis.

Yes, you did say that. But not without first pointing out that:

which is not what people were saying at all (and have been explicit about here and in similar threads).

This is, again, a misinterpretation of what I said, others have said, and the referenced experts have said, here and elsewhere. You are certainly entitled to believe that moderate cardio and serious strength training is ā€œlight exerciseā€ or that ā€œlight exerciseā€ is best for people getting started. Youā€™re also entitled to believe that if you donā€™t do excessive cardio youā€™re not ā€œheart healthy.ā€ But if thatā€™s the case, you do not ā€œagreeā€ with what I said, others have said, and the referenced experts have said, and itā€™s misleading to imply that.

Look, I get that tons of people love running and training for marathons or going to spin class. That doesnā€™t mean itā€™s good for people or conducive to weight lossā€“it might even interfere with their ability to lose weight or their rate of weight loss.

If someone is struggling with weight loss and asks for suggestions, people are going to point them in the direction of a serious exercise regime that will be more conducive to that than what theyā€™re currently doing and will improve their cardio function over what theyā€™re doing now in less time. Itā€™s frustrating to have people patently misunderstand this advice repeatedly and try to rephrase it as ā€œA lot of people say donā€™t work outā€ or not being ā€œheart healthyā€ or imply itā€™s not a serious work out to diminish the validity of the advice.

(traci simpson) #60

Iā€™m just going to leave it here.