Running

(Tim W) #21

I actually prefer to run fasted/skip consuming anything during my long runs, it makes the logistics easier, it’s cheaper (damn gels get expensive), and you don’t run the risk of having a reaction, gastro or otherwise, during the race or afterwards.

I was a sugar burner for my first marathon, I carried gels with me but they were handing them out during the race, I didn’t think about it but the brand they were passing out was different from what I trained on (rookie mistake, NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY!) so, being that I’m very cheap, I consumed the gels they were slinging instead of what I had in my belt, BIG MISTAKE! Gastro distress for the rest of the day, between them being “new” to my system and consuming so many (4:25 run time).

Just another reason keto rules when it comes to endurance.

(ianrobo) #22

totally @infromsea and it was something I used to suffer with and lived with it. Then I went Keto and first big ride as fat adapted and none of my usual stomach issues.

Then of course I went researching for it and hey presto … found it was sugar and the crap in the gels that did it .

It is not rocket science and I just smile now as I ride past feed stations with these people scoffing down gels, bars etc … and of course by not stopping I actually am quicker than much younger people who HAVE to stop !

(Tim W) #23

I have to stop myself from gloating about it when running and folks are weaving in and out and, coming up on an aid station, I get all the way to the opposite side and glide on by.

I have found an easy way to broach the subject if, by chance, a fellow runner notices I’m skipping all the stations and not consuming anything, I tell them I read a book by two doctors about low carb performance and they either start asking questions or look at me like I’m crazy. Talking about being a low carb athlete VS “I eat keto” seems to be a smoother entry point for those not on this WOE.

(ianrobo) #24

TBF I do both, had a long chat with someone about it and had to stop when he had to stop to refill !

I know this is an older thread but I’m very new to the forums and very new to keto (few weeks). I’ve been running regularly since my late 30s (46 now), ran some slow ultras, a marathon, and a couple of halfs not to mention the shorter races. Always carb fueled. A few years ago I backed off to running because I just love to run and because I have young children (on my own now so long runs are a luxury).
Long story short two weeks ago I decided to meet an old ultra friend (also casual runner now) for a trail run. I got up early and had some coffee (coconut oil and butter as usual) but nothing to eat. I ran about 8 miles or so that morning at a nice comfortable clip with no issues, no water breaks. I finished the run and wasn’t stark raving mad for food (ala my carb days) or even terribly thirsty.
My longest run in months if not a few years up to this point was probably around 6 miles. I recovered so well that I went back out and ran another 3 miles that night!

Today I’m planning to go for 8-10 miles. I’ve eaten today so it won’t be fasted but since beginning this lifestyle I sleep so much better, I drink way less caffeine, and frankly running is much more enjoyable when I don’t have to rush to eat every time I finish.

(Tim W) #26

Great point. I wait up to 4-6 hours after running, no ill effects (that I can tell).