Running on Empty - 4 New Fasting Academics - 14 Journal Sources Cited

science
research

(Tim) #1

So I ran across this article entitled Running on Empty on the-scientist.com – Looks promising at a glance.

Subtitle - Regularly taking breaks from eating—for hours or days—can trigger changes both expected, such as in metabolic dynamics and inflammation, and surprising, as in immune system function and cancer progression.

Haven’t had the chance to read it yet, but at the bottom there’s 14 sources cited looking all like reputable publications, and 4 new academics who’s names I haven’t heard associated with Fasting before. Thought it might be worth a look for the @dudes.

I’ll read through it and update this post if I find any gems. Currently finishing up my post-fasting roundup.

(Robert Williamson) #2

Great article! Longo has been doing solid work for 20 years, and is currently head of USC’s Longevity Institute. He’s very keto-friendly; the article describes his “Fasting Mimicking Diet” as “low in calories, carbohydrates, and proteins but contains ample fatty acids to push the body into a fasting state without a complete cessation of incoming energy”. Everything but the K-word… I can’t fault him for not jumping on our bandwagon, there’s lots of people taking pot-shots at it. Reaven, who first described Metabolic Syndrome, didn’t try to take on the cardiovascular disease community either. Bad things often happen to researchers who do, career-wise.