Running and My Endurace

(runner1974) #1

I have been pretty strict Keto since 1/1/2018… Newbie… and have been a runner for a few years. I was feeling great in the beginning but lately I have been sore, tired and just no endurance… Is this normal… I do monitor my macros, water intake and have recently started taking electrolytes as a supplement before and after. I do not know what is going on with me but this doesn’t seem right… Anyone have any advice? TIA

Running links
(Jessica) #2

Absolutely normal. Your body is used to a lifetime of running on sugar and needs to learn how to run on fat. Depending on your personal metabolism you might notice a return of energy in a few weeks, or it might take longer.

(runner1974) #3

Thank you. I need to try to remember that almost a lifetime of treating my body poorly won’t undo itself in a month. I keep running, I am.just stopping when and if I need to. I haven’t gone beyond 4 miles in a bit.

(Cristian Lopez) #4

same Im a runner too,A few months ago which was my first week of track this year was kinda hell but It lead me too find out 2 things

1.Eat less protein,DEFINITELY eat more fat because ill tell you rn that glucogenosis and running are not good for endurance

2.When you run make sure too attempt too shoot your body weight off your tip toes and too naturally butt kick while running

3.Think about taking a supplement called Noxygen

btw I run 2 mile track event and now IM top in district

Fat adaptation isn’t specifically about undoing damage; it’s more about letting the body discover/rediscover a mechanism that it has always known how to do but hasn’t needed to (ever, or much, or for a while). Those metabolic pathways need to be uncovered, nudged, encouraged…

Good luck and welcome!

(Jay Erdahl) #6

I made the switch to keto running about 3 years ago, and I found it was important to be patient with my paces. I was faster during my races, but some of my longer runs were just slower. It helps if you run with an HR monitor to stay below your anaerobic threshold. Also, look into Generation UCan - LOTS of believers here on the forum and out there. It’s a great fuel - a super-starch - and doesn’t knock me out of ketosis. It’s what Meb uses, and is popular enough that you can get it at most running stores.

(runner1974) #7

I am feeling a bit better. I did 4 miles Monday and 3 yesterday… I did however eat some things I wouldn’t normally eat and I am paying the price today… Back on the horse and moving forward. Thanks for the advice and responses :slight_smile:

(ianrobo) #8

this is totally normal, it took me around 6 weeks to adapt and for that time I felt awful, had to really push myself, then one day woke up and had it all …

As long as you are doing keto right then it will happen and then Fat adaption will happen but I would advise when you feel good to start fasted runs