"Runner's high"on keto?

(ketohealthclub) #1

I’ve learned that the so-called runner’s high comes from burning through glycogen stores (and hitting that wall). When the body then turns to fat burning you feel euphoric because your body has discovered a fuel source, so to speak. If this is indeed what happens, what is the experience like for keto-adapted folks?

Running links
(Texan ) #2

I have not run in about 3 years and when I think back on that period of my life I always remember the feeling of a runners high. It’s like a drug and it’s addicting.
Sorry, I couldn’t answer your question. Really my comment is so that I could follow the thread. Sorry and thank you for the awesome question.

(Jacquie) #3

I ran in my 20’s and also did high impact aerobics a lot. Loved both and agree with what @Hundley said. Definitely got that runner’s high. @Emacfarland is a keto runner, so she may have some useful input.

(Erin Macfarland ) #4

There is definitely a feeling of elation when I get into a zone of higher intensity especially during a race. I am not sure if it’s due to a physiological response to the exertion or because I am tapping fat stores. I would feel this sensation while I was running as a carb burner but feel it more often as a fat burner.

(ketohealthclub) #5

Thanks for your observations. Maybe I’ll appreciate running, this time around!

(In a #ketomarriage with @peggaloon) #6

I’m finding the opposite. My running speed and enjoyment has really suffered since keto!

(Jo Lo) #7

We run a fair amount, did a marathon three weeks ago, a ten miler last week… on keto.

Don’t notice any difference in terms of runner’s high. But we are into Maffetone type 70% of max heart rate running, often with run/walk schedule. Keto works great, never hungry, plenty of energy for low-level work.

(Alex Dipego) #8

Never felt runners high… Hate running and used to do cross country. Squatters high though is real. To each is own

(Bart) #9

I have ran a lot over the years. I have never had a runners high, carb burner or keto. I have had discomfort and annoyance. I will say this though. On keto I have felt a lot better doing it. Less discomfort and quicker recovery… What I understand a runners high is supposed to be from an endorphin release.

(ketohealthclub) #10

Have you been keto adapted for a while?

(Bart) #11

I started running about 6 weeks into my keto journey (due to physical training requirments at my job I have ran a lot before that though not much in the previous 5-6 years due to moving into a management type of position). I highly recommend looking at MAF (Maximum Aerobic Fitness) running.

https://philmaffetone.com/want-speed-slow-down/

Also I think an absolutely fantastic book is Primal Endurance by Mark Sisson. It incorporates Keto/Paleo living with MAF training. This is good for not only running… hiking, cycling, climbing, heck even walking up stairs. Anything that is going to elevate your heart rate. You can find the book on amazon as well.

(Jo Lo) #12

Yes good book, PE. There’s nothing else out there quite like it. I did an Amazon review for a free copy. It’s sort of funny, a book on running by enemies of ‘chronic cardio’. Takes a while for what they are saying to sink in.

(Samuel Ashford) #13

I love Bart’s recommendation of Maf’s plan. I’m following Mark Sisson’s Primal Endurance approach nowadays, and really feel that it is the perfect fit for keto. As he says, to “become a fat-burning beast.” Slow it down, keep it aerobic, and the speed will come.

What I found while training for my first marathon in 2012, is that when I became fully keto-adapted in my running, and my pace increased - and I didn’t push too hard - I finished many training runs with the fabled “high”. I was in ketosis then (averaged about 2.5 mmol). Interestingly, though, during that race, I did push too hard and didn’t finish in quite that elated state - maybe because I went anaerobic.

(In a #ketomarriage with @peggaloon) #14

Yes, since August. I am so much slower than a year ago when I was a carb burner.

(Andrew Fawcett) #15

I have been eating keto since January 1st, so just past 3 weeks. I experienced almost immediately a difference in my running. I use a tread mill and run pretty much the same pattern every time. Up until now when I hit the 30 minute mark I was really starting to feel it. While I could go on, I usually do 1 hour, I was really having to push myself.

Lately I kind of feel a surge of strength and energy at this point in the run. I feel like I could go on much longer and indeed have been extending the time the I run at the higher speed. While I would not exactly describe this as a “high” it certainly is a marked difference in how my body handles exertion.

(astrahsburg) #16

It’s interesting about the Primal Endurance ideas. I read the book and gave it the 8 weeks. I was already slow, but I ended up loosing about 1/3 of what speed I did have. Took many months to get even that back.

I have often had runner’s high. I find it particularly powerful a few runs into it after a few months off.

However, on keto, forget about it. There is no high. The first step is awful and it does not get much better throughout the run. On carbs, the high would last the day. There is no high on keto, for me, during or after the run. I am only a month or so into my current state of ketosis, and I hope that this changes. I look at it this way: when I run 15k it is training me to run the last 15k of a marathon - as it must feel the same.

I have been running three times per week since starting entering ketosis a month ago. I am about 20 minutes slower on a 15k run. I generally run as fast as I can and maintain the pace for the distance.

If you do not push yourself, I doubt that you will have the high (on carbs or not). Also, I do not think that the high is related at all to hitting the wall. I have hit the wall hiking, running, cycling, and in other ways and it always kills the high. The high comes before you hit the wall.

The first time I went keto my running took a big hit for maybe the first month, then after about 6 weeks in it suddenly started getting better every time I went out, after 3 months I broke my half marathon PB with a breakfast of black coffee.

It’s eventually fine once you’ve properly adapted.