Rookie questions

(Aliesha Barnett) #1

Hi all!

I’m an absolute rookie to this whole keto thing, but oh golly am I excited about it all. A quick question on your thoughts about peanut butter, almond butter and cashew butter in a keto lifestyle?

Hey - welcome!!!

Ok, so you will get divergent opinions from people, mostly because of personal experiences.

As a starter’s template, try to target not more than 20 grams carb per day.

Peanuts and almonds have less carbs than cashews. People usually do not touch cashews because of the higher carb content.

some opinions out there is that peanuts are actually “beans”, and not nuts, contain higher quantity of anti nutrients, and so on. But, if you find they work for you, then great, go ahead, enjoy.

hope this helps.

keep us posted on your journey! :grinning:

(Tom) #3

I personally find that I can easily overeat peanut butter, so I don’t keep it around. I do have a jar of Pb2 powdered peanut butter I use for chocolate-peanut butter mousse. It has fewer carbs than regular or even low sugar pb.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #4

(Aliesha Barnett) #5

Thanks for your feedback guys!

Those butters are definitely a weakness for me so I might be in the same boat as you Tom and try not have it in the house.

Fiorella I will try keep you posted on my journey I seem to get a little shy on forums… so hopefully this helps me open up and gets me out of my comfort zone a little bit :+1:t3:

(Aliesha Barnett) #6

Thanks for the read Brenda!

(Rein) #7

I have a big jar of PB in my office and for me personally, it’s ok if I eat one tablespoon of it on a daily basis. This mostly happens around 3-4pm when I always start getting a little hungry.

I find one tablespoon to be quite filling, mostly because it’s kinda dry and takes a while to get to my stomach (I think the Dutch peanut butter is dryer and stickier in texture than the American) and it hasn’t had any negative effects for me personally.

However, if you can’t seem to control yourself in the proximity of peanut butter, perhaps find a replacement :grin:

(Aliesha Barnett) #8

Cheers for the Rein!
To be honest I have been doing something similar due to being so new to this all I have kinda just been experimenting to see what works for me. But if I do have cravings I thought it would be better to have a teaspoon or table spoon of PB rather than chocolate etc and when I have it has been controlled… apart from this afternoon

Any other replacement ideas???

(Rein) #9

I try to keep these around – I think they’re called pork rinds in English:

They’re basically protein + fat, and a lot of air as well :wink:. I like to dip them in mayonnaise and sometimes I season the mayo with some cayenne pepper, but they’re fine on their own as well.

edit: I googled a bit and apparently pork rinds are pig skin. The stuff I posted is actually deep fried bacon, they fry the hell out of it and it becomes really light and crispy.

(Arlene) #10

If you’re at home, fry up some shredded cheese. So much fun to eat, and very filling.

All good, all yummy - depends if you can manage not to eat the whole jar at once or not!

Hey…we are here to support you. :grinning: Don’t feel shy. We want to see you succeed.:wink:

Second that. No question is too small or silly. As I am sure your teachers have often said in school - you can bet someone else was wondering the same thing. It is so true and we always secretly applaud the person who is brave enough to ask don’t we?