Rocking that tartare!

(Mediterranean Magic! Show me yer...) #7

I tend to always start with a steak.

(Christina Hansen) #8

What about raw liver?

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #9

You don’t really, but my take on this is that if you are willing to eat raw green leaves like spinach, or raw fruit like strawberries or bell peppers, then it’s inconsistent to avoid raw beef. Those plants are more likely to be contaminated than beef is.

(Genevieve Biggs) #10

:nerd_face::sunglasses:

(Ross Daniel) #11

I know, I know, but I’m still more of a pittsburgh rare type of guy. But, if someone asks me how I like my steak cooked I say: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cer8B4mK8gQ

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #12

:laughing:

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #13

I did not know there was a word for that! “Pittsburg Rare!” That’s pretty close to what I usually do in practice. Thank you. Wow!

(Ross Daniel) #14

No problem! I love sharing the knowledge. I didn’t either until a couple years back, a co-worker of mine told me about the story of the steel workers supposedly cooking steaks on hot steel. I was working on a project at a steel mill at the time. They also apparently cook turkeys around thanksgiving by hanging them in these red hot coils of steel: https://goo.gl/images/FC53M4

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #15

I do it with burgers, too. Like this:

(Genevieve Biggs) #16

First time I had my burgers rare I was pleasantly surprised. We’ve been cooking the taste out if the meat all this time!

(Ross Daniel) #17

nice! yes, I like a medium-rare burger a lot! For ground beef I tend to be much more weary though of the source unless I ground it myself :sunglasses: I don’t think I would ever order it that way from a restaurant. I’ve had E. Coli before, a few years back and was hospitalized for over 4 days. I think the source was actually vegetable, probably leafy greens from a salad, but there is noway to pinpoint because it can take 24 hours up to a week for symptoms to appear. So it has made me more paranoid so to speak…

(Genevieve Biggs) #18

I blame the spinach. :wink:

(Ross Daniel) #19

probably was! I got interviewed by the CDC and health department, and they were asking me everywhere and everything I ate for the past week. That was difficult to answer! They said most likely it was leafy greens, as is apparently typical.

(matt ) #20

We also call it black and blue.

(Jacquie) #21

That’s what I call it. :grinning:

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #22

Not-quite-black and blue ahi and chuckeye:

Wow, that looks perfectly delicious!

Reminds me of all the cooking going on at the nuclear power plant while it was under construction…quartz lights were the hot plates for a lot of guys. haha (I was an electrician in my previous life)

(What The Fast?!) #25

Does anyone have a good ZC steak tartare recipe??? I’m not sure what to put in since we don’t use olive oil or capers!

(Mediterranean Magic! Show me yer...) #26

Hi @KetoLikeaLady - try this:

10 ounces fine quality marbled beef, trimmed of gristle, finely cubed, cold
2 large yolks
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 T finely chopped onion
2 T finely chopped parsley
3-4 tsp avocado or other neutral oil
4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
A few anchovy filets (optional)
Pinch of crushed chilies (optional)

Mix everything but beef and yolks. Pour over beef, toss on yolks, and lightly combine with fork. Don’t overwork it, you want the beef to retain some texture. Salt and pepper to taste.

Yum