Roast Pork Crackling - where have you been all my life?

(Mary) #1

I just made a pork roast with lovely, British pork which has not had the fat trimmed off. Since I’d never cooked one with the fat before, I followed the recipe exactly.

OMG. OOOO MMMM GGGGG!!! Never mind the meat part - give me all the crackling!!! This stuff is aptly named - Crackling = crack cocaine. It doesn’t matter what you call it, it’s total fabulousness.

Right - you poms are never getting rid of me. If this is what I’ve been missing for the past 50 years, I’ll just stay here and make up for lost time.

PS - I would’ve attached a pic but I couldn’t get the camera out before the crackling disappeared :yum:

(Laurie) #2

Our family used to fight over the crackling on pork roasts when I was a child (in Canada, mid-20th century). I haven’t had it since. I don’t know if they cut that part off now or what.

Here in South Louisiana pork cracklins are cooked alone and have become an expensive delicacy. They’ve been around for hundreds of years.

You can also buy just the raw cracklins meat from butchers. It consists of the skin, layer of fat and a bit of meat.

Do not confuse cracklins with store-bought pork skins or pork rinds. Not the same.

(Karyn) #4

We’re lucky enough to have a connection to a Filipino family who makes a big batch of chicharrones in their backyard deep fryer every week. This is what dreams are made of… :yum:

(Mary) #5

I was clearly raised in the wrong family :frowning_face:

(Paul Butler) #6

I buy raw pork rind every week from butcher/supermarket, and make pork crackling to snack on during the week (only last a few days the way I eat it). In Australia, I pay $2 for about 350-400g which cooks down to about 200g from memory. It’s my go to snack, if im not crunching on it at night, I’m not as satisfied :wink:

(Mary) #7

That’s my plan, exactly. I’ve already been sussing out butchers in the next village we’re traveling to.