Restaurant Fail

(Fran) #1

Yesterday my 4 kids and I had a really busy morning and we were out at lunch time and everyone was hungry and complaining. Against my better judgement, we went to McDonald’s. I got nuggets for the kids and a double quarter pounder with cheese with no bun and extra mayo for me. That’s keto, right? TOTALLY RUINED MY DAY!!! Right after I ate it I got a headache, I was suddenly in a fog and felt like taking a nap. Grrr… I feel better today, but man was that frustrating. So what’s the lesson for me? No more McDonald’s.

(matt ) #2

That’s odd. There’s no issue with what you ate. I had the exact same thing a couple weekends back. No issues for me. N=1 as always.

(Arlene) #3

Just because a menu may say “contains 100% beef”, that doesn’t mean there aren’t other things added. It just means the beef is 100% beef. Could be there are additives that you are sensitive to. I agree you should stay away from McDonald’s. I have learned similar lessons from plenty of places. Our bodies choose what they won’t tolerate. We just have to honor that and find something else.

(Jo Lo) #4

What was the horror movie where you want to scream: “No don’t go in there!!!”:dizzy_face:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #5

McDonald’s burgers are 100% beef. You reacted to something else. Maybe the cheese ingredients. Or the mayo ingredients. The cortisol released because of the stress you felt.

A bunless burger is definately ketogenic at McDonalds. Nom nom nom. Hee hee.
Here’s my McDonald’s McDouble Quad, with pickles. 6 grams carbohydrate (from the lactose in the real American cheese, they do add whey as well and I wish they wouldn’t), 67 grams protein, and 68 grams fat.
That’s all my carbs, all my protein, and 3/4 of my fat for the day. Lol
Easy easy meal for me. I probably buy this once a month…

(Fran) #6

It had to have been something else. I think that rather than try to figure it out I’ll just plan better and eat at home. My kids seem to like my burgers better than McDonald’s anyway. Mom restaurant for the win!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #7

Agree! Homemade is best!!!

(James storie) #8

Is that 4 mcdoubles at once? I hate looking at stuff like this while fasting! It’s killing me! :weary:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #9

Yaaaaaaasssssssssssss

(What The Fast?!) #10

I didn’t know you followed macros! What calculator do you use to figure out your fat macro? Based on your numbers, I wonder if that’s why I haven’t lost any weight, I’m eating way more fat.

(Mike W.) #11

Fat is to satiety, not a number. Eat fat. LOTS of it.

(What The Fast?!) #12

i was just noting that Brenda said 68g of fat is 3/4 of her daily intake. I’m eating well over that daily.

(Mike W.) #13

Ah. My apologies.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #14

I eat 100 to as much as 150 grams of fat a day. Depending on hunger. I rarely measure anymore.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #15

Though I have recently settled on 70 grams of protein, the amount I decided would preserve my 127 lb LBM. I do measure my protein grams occasionally to check my range.

(What The Fast?!) #16

Thanks, it’s helpful to know that even people who have been doing keto for a long time track things. :slight_smile:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #17

Occasionally. It drives me insane otherwise.

(Dustin Ewers) #18

McDonald’s also has a decent nutrition calculator, which is handy for tracking your McMountains macros. That’s where I learned their cheese was 2g per slice.