Resistance Training

(Meeping up the Science!) #1

So: I need to design a routine to build leg strength particularly, as well as right arm strength. I’m happy to do the research, however there are like 5 million sources. Any reliable sources peeps have?

Limitations: right knee is crap (kneeds, ha, replacement) and right rotator cuff is torn. Right rotator cuff has full range of motion.

(Zbigniew Kosior) #2

You could try slow lifting protocol from “Body by Science, A Research Based Program for Strength Training, Body Building, And Complete Fitness in 12 Minutes a Week” by John Little & Doug McGuff.
Those are short exercises with low to moderate load and a lot of recovery time.

(Jeff Ryan) #3

can you do push or any overhead press?

(Meeping up the Science!) #4

Yes, I just have to stop if it hurts and keep it under 30.

(Jeff Ryan) #5

what movements cant you do with your legs? like squat, leg press, leg extenstion, leg curl etc. Did the doctor tell you what range of motion you can do?

(Meeping up the Science!) #6

Leg wise I can do anything as long as I tolerate it. I just can’t push up with the calf - that’s the only painful motion.

(Mark) #7

You could try a body blade it is made for rotator cuff injuries but also offers a great overall general fitness piece of of equipment will get your heart rate up and help with working your muscles,baseball pitchers use it when they get a rotator cuff injury from pitching for rehab

(Jeff Ryan) #8

Ok. You can do a full body workout that comprise compound exercises that will target your legs and arms.

You can do this 4 sets of exercises with a 30 seconds rest in between sets. That’s with your normal warm up routine then post workout cooldown and stretches.

Squat (body weight) of 3 sets: 10 reps then straight to
Push ups 3 sets: 10 reps then rest for 30 seconds. (Go on your knee)

Standing overhead press with dumbbells of 3 sets: 10 reps then straight to farmers walk of a total of 20 steps. Maybe do 10 steps then you turn and do another 10 steps so your back to your station. So also do that for three sets with having 30 seconds in between sets.

Light barbell row of 3 sets: 10 reps then plank for 40 seconds. Then have a 30 seconds rest.

Now the total exercises should be done between 15-20 minutes. You are working all your whole body to keep it balanced which much emphasis on the legs and arms. It’s fairly intense if you do the set times so you get a great cardio workout as well.

If your not sure of the forms you can go to YouTube and look at “Howcast” people. They give a detailed information on how to perform the exercise.

I hope that helps.

(Meeping up the Science!) #9

Thank you so much @Jeffryan!! It helps a great deal :slight_smile:

(Jeff Ryan) #10

No worries :slight_smile:

(Michelle) #11

Hello weightlifting keto community! I have a question. First, a little background - - I am about ~3 weeks into keto diet. Not sure that my body is fat-adapted yet. I’ve been lifting weights for years, and been keeping up with my routine while my body is trying to switch fuel source from glucose to fat.

However, (here’s the question part) My muscles burn out very quick now, the lactic acid build up happens fast, especially in my smaller muscles of biceps and shoulders. Did this happen to anyone else when they were in this stage of trying to use fat as fuel source? I’m wondering when my super-human strength will kick in.

thanks!!

(Jeff Ryan) #12

Are you having enough electrolytes?

(Michelle) #13

Hi - I am not taking any electrolytes. Is this when they are needed? When you are lifting weights? Is that the only time you may feel a deficiency?

(Jeff Ryan) #14

Yes but you should have electrolyes is general especially if you work out.

(Daniel C.) #15

Whatever makes your heart beating over 140 bpm every 48 hr, for more than 30 mins preferablly in a row, will aid benefits. Buy a rubber band or go out with your dog, play table tennis , listen to heavy metal and headbang (lol) or just stay still but flex all your muscles ( a good way to maintaij lean body mass if sick in the bed, you get muscles soreness easly, don t ask me how do i know this :d)

Mind my bad spelling, im a EN noob

(Todd Allen) #16

Some recommend “blood flow restriction training” while recovering from injuries. The basic idea is to place a band at the top of the thigh or just below the shoulder sufficiently tight to inhibit venous return flow from the limb without impacting arterial flow. This causes blood to be trapped in the limb and creates a build up of metabolic waste as one works out. One can work out with very light resistance, a fraction of what is typically needed to stimulate muscle growth and still get good results.
This might allow you to get an intense leg workout without putting much stress on your knee,.

(Daniel C.) #17

As a thumb rule i allways use ice and resting for bone damage and occlusion thing for workouts. Try geting some good secretogogues or any prescribed peptides. All the good thoughs may be with you, i know how bad a knee injury can be

(Omar Newsome) #18

Bret Contrereas’s strong curves is a great protocol for beginners and targets the lower body very well. It would be pretty easy to add in some light rehab type stuff for the shoulders to increase cuff health.