Researchers develop polymer intestinal coating!

(Dan) #1

Hmmmm… So our government and ADA and AHA recommend we eat a diet very high in carbs… And now researchers are developing a liquid that we can drink that will form a polymer coating on our intestines to block the absorption of the glucose to help with diabetes and obesity… What could possibly go wrong with that?! Or maybe we could just not eat the carbs/glucose? You can’t make this shit up!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

According to Dr. Robert Lustig, a combination of soluble and insoluble fibre will do the same thing.

(Jane) #3

I found the technique of catalyzing a polymerization reaction in your gut both fascinating and horrifying.

The research was partially funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

(Dan) #4

I guess it’s actually progress of sorts. Recall that a few years ago the pharmaceutical industry was pushing a drug (Olestra/Xenical I think) that was intended to block absorption of fat. Now at least they are focusing on the real culprit. That’s why I found it interesting, since the governing medical bodies and government guidelines don’t yet acknowledge that glucose/carb consumption is a problem.

(Jane) #5

I hadn’t thought of that but you are right. The treatment of obesity has been to reduce fat for so many decades now and this is the first I’ve seen glucose mentioned as a cause.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

Olestra was a synthetic fat-substitute that the body would not absorb. For some reason, the product made it into consumer testing before anyone thought to consider the consequences of eating a fat-like substance that the body will not absorb! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Dan) #7

Lol. Yup, the original disaster pants.

(Bunny) #8

I wonder if it works on car upholstery.